Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Gas heater problem!?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Gas heater problem!?

Hi,

My pool heater has a problem. It heats the spa water fine to about 95 degrees, then the heater stops heating and cycles on then off for a few minutes at a time until it reaches 102 (set limit). This takes much longer than usual to heat up the spa with this happening. The water also does not feel like it is 102 when it says it is?? The SERVICE HEATER light and the HLS led (under the control panel) turn ON when the heater shuts off, then resets themselves after a few minutes then the heater turns on again.

I am thinking the high temp level sensor may be bad. I removed it(chased the wiring of the HLS led to that sensor), inspected visually, and put it back in. The markings on it are SA TOD 441631 316109 L135F. Is this a common part that fails.

Please help.

Michel
    17,000 gal IG Genuine Pebble Sheen "Ocean Blue" with waterfall dam from spa
    All pool equipment is Pentair brand:
    MasterTemp 400k BTU gas heater
    Intellichlor SWG
    FNS plus 60 DE filter
    Whisperflow 1 HP circulation pump
    Whisperflow 2 HP spa jets pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Gas heater problem!?

yes it could be the problem. Check your manual, I believe there might even be a slight adjustment for the high limit sensor.
    22,000 Gallon inground gunite
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair tr-100 sand filter
    Pentair Minimax NT 400,000 BTU heater
    AquaRite chlorine generator
    AquaPC-On Point chemical controller

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Definitely a possible problem. Replace the sensor and see if the problem continues. It is also possible that something is clogging the heat exchanger and making it overheat. Improper flow could be causing the water to get too hot in the heater, which would trigger the high limit sensor. A clog could be anything from hair, sand, to calcium buildup. This can be a major problem, but hopefully it's just a bad sensor.

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you ever get this sorted? I'm having the exact same problem with my Pentair Master Temp. Of course it started 1 month after I fired my pool maintenance company, and 2 months after my 1 year PB warranty ran out...
    Darren
    ~20K gallon freeform w/attached spa
    Pentair 4x160 pump
    Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Intellitouch i7+3 controller
    Intellichlor IC40

5. Back To Top    #5

Drogers-

If you've got an HLS light on you've either got overheated water going into the heater, a flow obstruction beyond the heater allowing the water inside to get too hot, or a bid high limit sensor.

Assuming the water is cold, if you turn the unit off for about 10 seconds and then back on again and the HLS light immediately comes back on (as in before the heater ever fires up), then it's a bad sensor (or possibly a bad board but you'll have to replace the sensor first to find out).

Tim

6. Back To Top    #6

Bringing this back to the top, as I have the same problem and curious if any solution was found. I called Pentair and they said it sounded like a restricted heat exchanger... Is this something a DIYer can fix/clean? I already changed out the HLS.

Chris
    http://www.circledspecialties.com

44,000 IG Salt Pool - Pentair VF, Quad 100, Polaris 280, IC60, 400 Mater Temp

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

You need to remove and inspect the thermostatic by-pass. It resembles an automotive thermostat. If the bulb has corrosion, or perhaps a small crack, may look like a green crack, then it needs to be replaced. It is the plug with castellations between the inlet and outlet ports (water).

Note: if your HLS is opening, then closes, its working properly. The HLS is rarely the problem but more a symptom of another problem.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, I will check it and report back.

Chris

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Pentair equipment has a three year warranty if you purchased three pieces at the same time. Call Pentair
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, got some time to check this. I also should let you know it is an ASME heater. I pulled the top brass plug and gained access to the bypass valve. Some corrosion, not not to bad. Looks like this is suppose to leak a little anyways. Looks like I have to pull the lower pipe off to access the thermal regulator. If this is stuck closed or low flow, I think it would cause the problem I am having. Not entirely sure how the heater works. But seems like the thermal regulator valve opens up when it gets hot, if it is closed the bypass valve opens up and water circulates that way? Thanks again for the help....

Chris

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Brass plug is not for access or inspection. This is what you should remove to get to the therm. b-pass.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

The ASME model has a completely different header.

You do have to remove the inlet pipe to access the thermal regulator. It's a PITA if the installer didn't make provision for doing so.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by racket
    The ASME model has a completely different header.

You do have to remove the inlet pipe to access the thermal regulator. It's a PITA if the installer didn't make provision for doing so.
    Yes, it will be a PITA. Have to cut and redo everything.....Hope to have time this weekend. I already got a new thermal regulator ready to go in, hopefully it will fix it.

Chris

14. Back To Top    #14

It is fixed, replaced the Thermal Regulator and works like a champ. The old regulator was corroded with some blue stuff. Can the salt do this or did my chems get out of whack?

It was quite a project but I added unions this time for easy access if needed in the future. Appreciate the help...

Chris