Pool Light Bulbs...

Jun 12, 2012
Escondido, CA.
So.. tell me why I cant use a standard bulb in an water tight enclosure..

Ive got a fountain that has four 6" (small ) pool lights that are out. So I'm looking at replacing them but at 200 bucks its not a priority.

But I got to thinking.. dangerous thing for me to do I know!... What makes pool light bulbs different that a std bulb?

School me!

I'm really not sure it would make that much of a difference in a fountain. Generally pool bulbs are a higher wattage (400/500 watts) but they do have a standard Edison base. You can always try some bulbs from Lowes and if you don;t like the look then spring for the others.

I'm really not sure it would make that much of a difference in a fountain. Generally pool bulbs are a higher wattage (400/500 watts) but they do have a standard Edison base. You can always try some bulbs from Lowes and if you don;t like the look then spring for the others.

You know for the fountain I just want some warm light... the four lights that the original home owner had in there must have been overkill!

I was just wondering if a "Pool Light" was something different than just a high wattage light.

Don't know for sure, but my guess is that pool lights are pool lights for a reason. Either higher temperature tolerance, more corrosion resistant, rough duty, etc. Just like outdoor rated bulbs, ceiling fan bulbs, rough duty bulbs all work better for their intended purposes.

I put a 90 watt equivalent LED bulb from Home Depot in my main pool light over a year ago. I think it cost around $20.00. Still working just fine. As long as it fits the fixture it will work. If light output is your main concern you might want to stick with the 400 watt pool light. For me though the 400 watt light was too bright. The LED still lights up the pool but it is much more subdued.

I put a 90 watt equivalent LED bulb from Home Depot in my main pool light over a year ago. I think it cost around $20.00. Still working just fine. As long as it fits the fixture it will work. If light output is your main concern you might want to stick with the 400 watt pool light. For me though the 400 watt light was too bright. The LED still lights up the pool but it is much more subdued.

Excellent... I had the thing out and as looking at it.. and all I saw was a std (abet 200 watt) light bulb... And I just could not bring myself to buy a $200 bulb for the fountain.. Did I mention that there are 3 of these lights... Sometimes we get locked into what is and we stop THINKING

Thanks All

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.