How do I use my vacuum?

Apr 25, 2015
Garland TX
Last year I had to get a new valve and now I am not sure how to turn on my vacuum. I have a single Jandy pump with a defilter. I am not sure how to turn my valve? I have 2 baskets (returns?) I used to turn my multiport valve, but a tennis ball in one side and then vacuum. I know how to use the hose and insert into the return, I am just not sure about the valves. I had attached a couple of pictures of what I have ...thanks for any help.

It would only let me upload 2 photos. If you need something else I will send. THANKS

Attachments

• 20150425_112510.jpg
    20150425_112510.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 20150425_112519.jpg
    20150425_112519.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 91
Torey,

I tried to answer your question, but the harder I tried, the more confused I got..;)

If you could answer the following questions, I think someone here will be able to help you..

1. Are you trying to connect a hose so that you can manually vacuum your pool or are you trying to turn on an in-pool cleaning machine?
2. Where are you connecting the end of the hose?
3. Did you originally have an actual multiport valve, mounted right in front of the Filter, that allowed you to Back Wash, Vacuum to waste, Filter, etc?
4. Where did you put the tennis ball?
5. Do you have a main drain in the bottom of the pool?
6. Just to confirm, you have two skimmers, where water is being returned from the pool through baskets which catch the leaves etc?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last year I had to get a new valve and now I am not sure how to turn on my vacuum. I have a single Jandy pump with a defilter. I am not sure how to turn my valve? I have 2 baskets (returns?) I used to turn my multiport valve, but a tennis ball in one side and then vacuum. I know how to use the hose and insert into the return, I am just not sure about the valves. I had attached a couple of pictures of what I have ...thanks for any help.

It would only let me upload 2 photos. If you need something else I will send. THANKS
This picture is the key to what you want to do.
attachment.php

Right now the three-way valve is centered, so both pipes flow to the pump. You need to turn that valve handle to the ends one way and then the other and figure out where they go. The two skimmers could be there, or one could go to the bottom drain. I can't help you there.Then block off the one you won't be using to vacuum from. That will put all the suction to the vacuum hose. You might find it's too much suction and the vacuum head sticks. In which case, crack that three way valve a little to reduce the suction to the vacuum hose.

On that valve, the rounded end across from the long handle indicates the block. So the way it is in the picture, it blocks the back wall where there is nothing. You'll see how turning it 90 degrees will block off one inlet pipe or the other.

Thanks I think i have it now! You say " and figure out where they go"....hmmmm. my best guess is the left goes to the skimmer in the deep end (which is the one I put the tennis ball in) and the right one goes to the other skimmer. If I turn the to the left how will I know it is cutting off the left and do I still put in a tennis ball? That is all I have to turn? Nothing else??

I appreciate your help! I have been trying for weeks to hire someone to clean my defilter and vacuum and no one shows up! I can handle the vacuuming, I have done that before, but the de filter I am afraid might be too much....

Thanks I think i have it now! You say " and figure out where they go"....hmmmm. my best guess is the left goes to the skimmer in the deep end (which is the one I put the tennis ball in) and the right one goes to the other skimmer. If I turn the to the left how will I know it is cutting off the left and do I still put in a tennis ball? That is all I have to turn? Nothing else??

I appreciate your help! I have been trying for weeks to hire someone to clean my defilter and vacuum and no one shows up! I can handle the vacuuming, I have done that before, but the de filter I am afraid might be too much....
Close one side, turn on the pump, and see where the water is moving. That's how I had to figure out which valve went where on my system. I think everyone goes through it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.