New Viking Montego in Riverside CA

house

Apr 18, 2015
colton ca
I am excited I have been reading over the forums here for a while and just heard yesterday that the county of Riverside has approved my permits so if all goes well I should be swimming in our Montego pool 3-4 Weeks. I have a couple of questions mostly regarding automation, I am sort of leaning towards Pentair Intellitouch 8, I plan on using my iphone to control it more than anything. I have not really found too many comparisons between the automation systems but this seems like it will have plenty of room for expansion later. I would love to hear your thoughts on this My PB is letting me purchase my equipment, he has been installing fiberglass pools for 25 years, but most of them are more no frills than what i am looking for so I have some questions.

My first is perimeter tile, my PB opinion is that with a fiberglass pool and the crystallite finish there is no real need for it, and it will cause more maintenance down the road. I am still on the fence about it, I really like it but i have to make up my mind post haste so I can finalize my pool.

Second, My pool is 14 x 35, from reading on here it seems that 2 skimmers might be better than just one, I am sure i will have more questions later but for now,

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Congrats on getting a pool!!! And the fact that you found us means you are off to a good start.

Personally I see no need to control my pool with my phone, so I know very little about those high end automation systems.

I also have no experience with putting tile in a FB pool.

As far as the skimmer goes, I have 1 on a pool bigger than that which is generally not a problem. You do want to make sure that the skimmer is on the predominantly downwind side of the pool as a little wind will quickly overcome the water flow to the skimmer. That said, there is generally nothing wrong with having 2 skimmers.

I DIY tiled my fiberglass pool a few years ago. It is a great upgrade IMO. Easy to do, looks great, and is very durable. I was actually surprised at how strong it is once applied. If you have a cantilever deck it also is a great bond between the pool shell and deck to keep water out. i bought my stuff from this site, http://fiberglassswimmingpooltiling.com/ . But it is basically just regular pool tile and silicon caulking. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pretty excited they are going to start digging monday! here is where i am going to put it

Pool%20before.jpeg

So am getting ready to pull the trigger and this is what my equipment list looks like any thoughts?

Load Center For Intellitouch (New Model) With Intellichlor Transformer 
#. 521213

Intellitouch Personality I7+3 
#. 521220

Intelllichlor 40K Replacement Cell 
#. IC40-520555

Pentair Mastertemp Heater 460736 400K Btu Natural Gas 
#. 460736

Pentair Intelliflo Pump 011018 3Hp 230V Variable Speed 
#. 011018

Screenlogic Wireless Connection Bundle Kit 
#. 522104

Hayward Swimclear 525 Sq Ft Filter 
#. C5030

one thing that i am not sure on is for the chlorine gen do i just need the cell if the load center has the power supply?

secondly why would one buy a smaller heater than the 400K BTU the price between them increments just seems so small and bigger is better right? I just had the gas company come out and install a bigger meter for me and they said the 400K should be fine.

Finally(at least for now) what do you think about the filter? I like cartridge filters for their ease but am at sort of a loss for which one, i cant really find too much comparison online

Thanks

Nick

You should only need the SWG cell since the power supply is built-in.
FYI, Raypak heaters get better feedback.
All cartridge filters are basically the same ... the big the better.

Well we started digging today, sort of. First it was a real chore getting the backhoe up the hill in my back yard, then once it was up the contractor informed me that i should have turned my sprinklers off because my lawn was too wet. So I had them strip all the grass out so the dirt can dry more quickly and hopefully we can be ready to dig the hole for the pool on Friday. A couple of questions, I asked my PB where he was going to put the sump, he said here in california it was not necessary, especially since i live on the top of a hill and my soil is DG(my well pump is at 350, which is 50 feet below my house) I have heard that i want one, is this ok? Also he is planing on backfilling the voids with gravel and sand, with sand on the bottom, i have read that gravel or rock is a better choice as it does not settle, but i guess the mixture makes sense as well.

I have all my equipment ready for pickup tomorrow so I am pretty excited

here are a couple of pictures

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

When our fiberglass pool was brought to us, the one skimmer was already in place. They never asked me anything about preferences, and I had no clue to ask. But that now knowing more about skimmer placement, thankfully they had it exactly where it belongs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yesterday I got 20 yards of fill delivered, now to get it to my back yard should be entertaining.

Just got all of my pool equipment from Americas Best Pool Supply, I feel like i got everything i needed so hopefully a week from tomorrow I will have a pool delivered and set. Pretty excited
File%20May%2012%2C%205%2027%2048%20PM.jpeg

Ok I have been out of town for a bit, but when i got back they had all the sand in the bottom and we are ready for the pool in the next couple of days

File%20May%2019%2C%208%2007%2028%20PM.jpeg

Also tomorrow morning they are going to start on my retaining wall to hold my pool equiptment

I have not seen it in person yet tonight will be the first time so I am pretty eager to get to see it! From what I understand there is only about 18 inches of water in it but this week it should get filled and I will post more pictures

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.