My SLAM is done!

Apr 16, 2013
Eatonton Georgia
My pool cover came off and the pool got a little grungy this winter so along with changing it over to a sand filter these past few days I knew I'd need a SLAM. I got all the leaves out and I can actually see bottom so it's not to bad.
Starting test results were PH of 7.5, FC of 0, CYA of 30. Using the chart I determined a shock level of 12 for the FC and brought it up to that last night. First test this morning was a FC reading of 10 so I brought it up to 12 again. A little later today I tested and it was 9.5 so I brought it up to 12 again. Might make one more test tonight and I've been brushing the pool and occasionally back washing the sand filter but I feel as if I'm forgetting something. Everything sound normal? Water is actually a light green and not near as bad as some I've seen or when I didn't have my kit and had to drain pool almost to the bottom. Also, disregard, the SW system in my sig as that's not even inline right now.

Re: My slam readings so far.....

Sounds like you are following the SLAM process correctly.
You might be backwashing too often. Just wait for the pressure to rise 20-25% and then backwash ... you will catch more as it gets dirtier.

You might be backwashing too much. Wait for it to rise 25% above clean pressure before you backwash. Sand filters actually work a little better when they'rte a little dirty. Otherwise, just stay the course. Keep bumping FC up to 12 and keep brushing the walls to break up any biofilm that might be protecting the algae.

OK the whole sand filter thing is new to me so the minute I was feeling reduced flow and seeing the gauge just beginning to creep into the yellow, I was back washing. Probably a little more paranoid than I should be about it clogging.

Yeah...duhhh...sorry...it's been a long day. Well, if memory serves the first pressure after the initial backwash and rinse of the new sand was around 7 or 8 psi. I will have to look again next time I backwash to see if that's consistent but it seems like to me the needle has returned back down to the same area after every backwash cycle I've done.

OK, well if clean is around 7-8psi, then you will want to backwash by around 10psi.

Does your gauge go up to 60psi? Pretty worthless huh? I like the glycerin one I got from tftestkits that only goes up to 30 psi and is larger so it is easier to read.

Yeah I think I'm eventually going to have to find something bigger. My next project is to get a least part of the filter hard plumbed in. I need a ball valve under the "skimfilter" where the cartridge used to go. I can't figure out what size threads are on the bottom of that thing. Unlike Intex though they are standard threads so there is that. I think it's 2 inch. I missed my first guess this morning though and then was stuck without a car all day. So I mainly just worked on the chemicals and the SLAM plus making up a temporary plug device so I didn't lose water out of the skimmer when I took the hose loose to see what I needed down there. Funny thing is I worked in plumbing years ago....I should not have missed my guess!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: My SLAM readings so far.....

Readings this morning showed the FC had dropped back down to 10 and I bumped it back up to 13 for a little fudge factor. Still no real discernible change in the water color. Looks very light green in pool and clear when scooped up in a cup. Have made several trips back and forth to Lowes trying to figure out how to better plumb the Intex stuff to my metal wall traditional AGP. I hate the Intex flexible hoses. The main thing I couldn't find was the part that would attach PVC "slip" to the bottom of my skimmer but I found it online last night through Amazon and I've got Prime so it will be here tomorrow.
Michael

Readings this morning showed the FC had dropped back down to 10 and I bumped it back up to 13 for a little fudge factor. Still no real discernible change in the water color. Looks very light green in pool and clear when scooped up in a cup. Have made several trips back and forth to Lowes trying to figure out how to better plumb the Intex stuff to my metal wall traditional AGP. I hate the Intex flexible hoses. The main thing I couldn't find was the part that would attach PVC "slip" to the bottom of my skimmer but I found it online last night through Amazon and I've got Prime so it will be here tomorrow.
Michael
Is the water cloudy, or just green? In years past, we've had people battling green that was from copper sulfate algaecide. No amount of bleach will eliminate that.

It's just kind of a clear green, maybe a little cloudiness but I can see the bottom well enough now to know I have virtually all the leaves out of it. It hasn't had any algecide added since last year when I didn't have a proper test kit and did an almost total drain and refill. The sides of the pool appear to have a light film of green on them but it almost looks like a stain. Nothing seems to happen when I brush it. I thought this stuff would turn white and cloudy when I began to get it killed.

Since asked, here's a pic, you guys tell me if I'm dealing with algae. I can see leaves on bottom which I just got out. Looking at the pool water up close is when it looks almost clear with a tinge of green. I'm now realizing it had two bags of powdered shock with algecide added early this month. I was trying to bring up the CYA a little but didn't realize that's what I had picked up at the store. Could have sworn it was straight shock.....may have been in the wrong bin. This is county water too BTW. My chlorine loss was 4 ppm from last night till this morning but we did have a lot of rain. EDIT: Pic deleted to free up photo space.

Well I'm continuing with the SLAM. The last test I did this evening was 7 ppm down from the afternoon test so chlorine is being consumed somewhere.....Killing algae I hope. I bumped it back up to 20 and will check it again and adjust in the morning I had thought my CYA was 30 but did another test and decided 40 was closer so I bumped up the slam level. I think I'm starting to see some improvement but it may just be my wishful thinking and impatience. I have to keep reminding myself I have not been at this but a few days.

You can always take another pic from the same angle as the first to compare. It really helps sometimes to show some of the more subtle changes.

Hopefully you'll break through soon and change to that pretty turquoise color that comes next... :)

Well I think I'm turning a corner. Reading was 22 this morning and then I had a lot of appointments today so didn't get home till late in afternoon Checked again and was at 17.5 and then I bumped it up again. Most encouraging things are though that I'm almost positive I noticed a change in the water appearance between today and yesterday and even my wife noticed it. Also looks like I'm getting a lot more stuff out of the filter when I backwash.

Well I think I'm turning a corner. Reading was 22 this morning and then I had a lot of appointments today so didn't get home till late in afternoon Checked again and was at 17.5 and then I bumped it up again. Most encouraging things are though that I'm almost positive I noticed a change in the water appearance between today and yesterday and even my wife noticed it. Also looks like I'm getting a lot more stuff out of the filter when I backwash.

Keep up the great work! Happy you are seeing a bit of a difference!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.