My SLAM is done!

Re: My SLAM readings so far.....

OCLT at-3 this morning. I wonder if I'm not testing early enough. A little frustrating trying to get to -1. I seem to have hit a wall and don't know how I'm going to keep the family out of the pool this weekend because to them, all they are seeing is clear water.

When I did my OLCT I did my last add around 7pm and then tested around 8:30 pm after the sun was completely down. Then I tested just as the sun was creeping up around 5 am or so.

You are very close!

I'd probably let the FC drop a few points below shock level and let them swim.
What's a safe level? I have been maintaining a shock level of 20 but if I let is alone in the sun, it comes down pretty quick in a day. I was gone all day once this week so I didn't test and add any bleach and it dropped down to about 10 over the course of the whole day.

I first thought my CYA was 30 but a second test with different light made me think it was closer to 40 or 50 so I went with the higher shock level of 20 which is what I've tried to maintain. I've been stuck on the OCLT level of -2.5 to -3 the past few days but my daughter is having company and I don't know how I can keep them out of it because it's getting hot here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well the CYA test should be outside in bright indirect light with the sun to your back and the tube at waist level.
Not sure what the differences were in lighting you were in.

If you think it might be as low as 30ppm, then I would let the FC drift below 12ppm.

Well the CYA test should be outside in bright indirect light with the sun to your back and the tube at waist level.
Not sure what the differences were in lighting you were in.

If you think it might be as low as 30ppm, then I would let the FC drift below 12ppm.
I think I did it right the second time. I had sun at my back, early in the day. The first time I wasn't really sure of the lighting and where the sun was so that's why I
did it again.

Checked the chlorine level tonight and it's 8 PPM. That's after not adding any all day because I knew my wife and kids weren't going to stay out of the pool this weekend. I might could have kept the kids out but the wife is another matter.:p I cleaned up my ladder this afternoon and got it back in the pool. I worked on it a long time and hopefully I didn't miss anything. Sure enough, my daughter and her friend hit the pool as soon as they got home. I'm not going to bump back to SLAM level this evening as I'm sure they will be swimming tomorrow. I may do an OCLT in the morning just to see how much I lose and I'll keep a close eye on the levels tomorrow as the day wears on. Crossing my fingers the pool stays clear and I may just take it right back up to SLAM level again next week depending on if the OCLT starts climbing.

I have not even tried to do much with the SWG because I've been SLAMMING but I turned it on the other day and it indicated "low salt". I tested salt with a strip and it was low so I put a couple of bags in today which should have brought it up after a couple of hours and according to the strips it did but I still get the low salt indicator. I'll have to look further into that but the SWG is right at two years old and from what I'm finding out the Intex don't last much longer than that.

After letting the wife and kids swim this weekend Monday I did the CYA test several times going back and forth between the bottle and the tube and I decided once and for all that my CYA is 40 so I used pool calc to determine how much chlorine to bring the pool to a level of 16. After adding it and letting it circulate awhile I got a reading of 17.5 Monday evening. This morning at just after 7:00 AM I tested and got a level of 13 which means I lost 4.5 in my OCLT, correct?
I ask because I can't seem to get over the hump with the OCLT. I get down to about -2.5 or 3 and then seem to hit a wall. I can't get to the elusive -1 yet the water is crystal clear. I did get a new SWG inline but it's not running right now because I don't want to introduce any more variables. To complicate matters further, I'm going to be leaving town for about 4 to 5 days about a week and a half from now. I really don't want to run my system at all with no one here so I was considering a floater with pucks because once the slam is finished the CYA needs to be raised anyway. Problem is getting the SLAM finished at this rate.

My SLAM readings so far.....

Look for anywhere algae could be hiding. Ladder toy's things like that. Something in there is still consuming FC.
Yes keep your SWG off for the OCLT. Make sure pump is running for it also. Brush also.

Look for anywhere algae could be hiding. Ladder toy's things like that. Something in there is still consuming FC.
Yes keep your SWG off for the OCLT. Make sure pump is running for it also. Brush also.

Check marks by all of that. Ladder had actually been pulled from pool and was cleaned separately and gone over looking for any sign of anything before putting back in pool. I've been brushing sides and bottom of pool, vacuuming, backwash......whole nine yards. Scrubbed out skimmer as best I could but it's has a space for a cartridge I don't use anymore since getting sand filter. Hard to get in there but did my best. Question is though, with shock level maintained shouldn't this mystery stuff left have started dying off?

You would think so but something is still consuming FC. It sounds to me that you let your FC fall below SLAM level for swimming. This could be dragging things out a bit. You can safely swim at SLAM level for the CYA level as long as the water is clear.

It's done! Finally! I had a little lull there with the swimming and being away from the pool mid week. That probably prolonged it a bit but I've been back at it towards the end of the week and as of this morning it's done!
Now a question....how much CYA will a puck or three add. I'm going to be leaving next Saturday and will be gone four days during which time I do not want to run my equipment. I was thinking a Floater with pucks to keep the water clear would also raise my CYA which needs to be done now anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.