Air in cartridge filter

Apr 7, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,
I've just installed my new Jandy cartridge filter CV460. No leaks in my plumbing work!! But now I've realized the one thing I didn't plan for and that is air getting into the system. I have done a lot of work to seal any leaks on the suction side (I dug up the under the pool deck to seal a leak in the skimmer, dug up all the pipe from the pool to the pool house to inspect it and replaced all the connections going into the pump). I still have a small leak from the skimmer and a larger leak from the drain. There is no way (that I can think of) to seal all the leaks, so I'll have to live with what I got. But...now the air accumulates in the top half of the filter. Has anyone installed an air release in one of these filters?
Thanks

On my Pentair cartridge filter you twist the housing that the pressure gauge is mounted in to release the air from the filter. Not sure if Jandy is the same.

Thanks pooldv. This filter has that as well. The problem is that there is a small amount of air that continuously gets sucked into the filter, so over the course of a day, the top portion of the filter fills with air. I would have manually purge it everyday.

I called Jandy (Zodiac) support. The guy there said that Jandy doesn't sell anything and that in his 25 years of doing this, has never heard and anything that will allow the air to be purged.

I did some research, and thinking maybe I could tap a hole in the top of the filter and add something like this:
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/aireliminators.html
I saw a thread on TFP that mentioned something like this (can't find the thread now) but they didn't say if they installed it and if it worked. Anyone have experience with something like this?

Hi jblizzle, I've done a ton of work to isolate the suction leak. The only place the leak could be occurring is the pipe going down to the main drain. I've dug up the skimmer (under the concrete pad), dug up the lines from pool to the pump pad, replace all the connections and valves at the pump. At this point, I pretty sure the leak is below the pool. So, unless there is a way to remotely seal the leak that could be anywhere from 2 feet to 8 feet below the pool, I'm stuck with the suction leak.

If you have it all dug up, then you could try capping the floor drain off and disconnecting it from the pump to see if the issue is resolved.

If the pipe is leaking down there when the pump is on, then it should be losing water when the pump is off.

When you say "capping the floor drain", do you mean at the bottom of the pool?

It probably is leaking water when the pump is off.
> When I set the (brand new) 3-way valve so that only the main drain is on, I get a lot of air coming in (not so much that it loses prime).
> When I set it so that only the skimmer is on, the problem goes away.
> I've traced/dug up the main drain line (it is a separate line from the skimmer line) I can confirm there are no leaks from the pump to where the line starts to go under the pool (about 2 feet)
Given this, wouldn't it confirm that the main drain leak is some place between 2 feet under ground and the actual drain at the bottom of the pool?

I guess where I'm trying to go is that, I'm sure the leak is in the main drain line and that it is not in a place accessible to me.

Sounds like you have isolated the problem. I think I would just leave all suction from the skimmer and consider sealing the floor drain inside the pool to stop the leaking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.