Hayward Salt Generator

Welcome to TFP!

The easiest way is to collect a water sample directly from a return while the cell is running. Test that for chlorine level compared to the chlorine level in the pool. You'll also want to verify that you have sufficient salt before condemning the cell.

My salt reading was at 1500ppm and I added 5 bags and it went up to 2000ppm I took a sample to the pool store and he said it was at 4000 so I took the cell in and he said it was bad Hayward has a limited warranty and its not quit 3 yrs. yet

Don't trust that pool store salt test. I would buy a Taylor salt test kit if you don't already have one. Their reading was double you r reading????? Something not right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pool store test for salt is likely ok. I prefer to do my own testing with the Taylor titration salt test, but the strips can be fine too to give you a ballpark.

My SWG and test reading never match, but I do it more to look for trends ... like the SWG reading lower and lower, but the test staying the same.

Did the pool store hook up and test the cell with their tester? If so, it looks like the cell is worn out and needs to be replaced. One of the first indicators that a cell is nearing its end of life is a low salt reading. There are other factors that can cause a cell to read low, but if the pool store tested the cell then I would say the cell is dead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.