Solar controller & 120v pool pump

chief_rocker

Jul 22, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
I have a Hayward AQ-SOL-LV solar controller and I am looking to power the pool pump (120v), so it only comes on when there is a call for heat from the solar.

Right now I have the pump running and the solar just opens and closes throughout the day. I like that in the summer when its hot but now I want to only circulate during heating times to maximize my heat. I the manual it looks like I would need a 220v pump, or can I run it from the booster pump?
http://www.hayward-pool.com/images/pdf/manuals/AquaSolarAQ-SOLSeries.pdf

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Hayward AQ-SOL-LV supports a relay for turning on a pump when there is a call for solar heat. That relay can easily be wired to support either a 115 volt pump or a 230 volt pump, independent of how you are powering the AQ-SOL-LV.

The only issue I see in what you propose is that the pump needs to be running for the water temperature sensor to give a correct reading. That could result in some strange behavior if done the way you propose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.