Algae spots....advice

Hi I have never had problems with my pool before, but I ignored it and now it is not happy with me!

I have a few spots, almost look like dirt on the pool. Wont brush off. Went in and tested pool, said no FC. PH was high. I added acid twice to lower ph and put in shook treatment one bag. It is better after a day but still have areas with the algae on them.

They are recommending a yellow out, algaecide, clear aid product, phosphree product, and then a de filter change, when I did a change two weeks ago.

Would love advice please...thanks :)

Hi, welcome to TFP!
Do not buy any of that stuff. You do not need it and it will not help.

Your first issue is not enough chlorine. What is your CYA level? Need to know CYA level to be able to suggest the correct amount of chlorine to add right now.

Do you have a test kit? Is it one of these? Test Kit Comparison

Read these
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

and get ready to do this after you get a good test kit
SLAMing Your Pool

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please update your signature and location as described here, http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

Thanks. My pool is beautiful blue water outside of several areas by my jacuzzi, under the light fixture, and in the crevices of the baja shelf plaster that looks like rock which have dirt looking brown/yellow colored algae. My CYA is 35 and i have 0 FC. I put shock in two days ago.

I was going to add 2 gal. chlorine, and conditioner this morning. A guy who used to do my pool told me that would work. He said without conditioner the chlorine disappears. My PH is good, 7.6 and alkalinity good at 110.

I have a salt pool and that is good as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5066.jpg
    IMG_5066.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 56
From time to time, I get black mold on the tile joints.

I get a chlorine tablet, rubber gloves, and rub the algae off as if using an eraser. That seems to really help.

I use an algicide usually at the beginning of the season. I have solar panels so the pump runs a lot, so my chlorine is naturally high in the summer.

Is your conditioner cyanuric acid?

The most important part of pool maintenance is never letting your chlorine level fall below the minimum level based on your CYA level. This is the only way to stop algae from getting a foothold. Chlorine CYA Chart

Welcome to TFP!

As long as you go this route, the problem will return. Until you start maintaining proper water balance, particarly Free Chlorine per your Cya, it will continue to be a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.