Dull Replaster Job or is it me?

I wonder if somebody has an answer to my possible problem. I live in Southern California and had my pool replastered earlier this summer. I met the plaster man outside of the pool products store and once he had a look at the pool said that he'd give me a deal by he and his crew doing it on the side. I know, I know......but, it sounded great at the time. :hammer: They actually did a really good job and were quick and clean but after the water started to fill the pool back up I never heard from him again and does not return my phone calls. I was sick right after the water started going in and no chemicals were put in for about two weeks and very little scrubbing was done during that time.

My question is this.....the plaster looks good but not great but I am very nitpicky. It seems to be somewhat cloudy and not the brilliant white that I was expecting or think it should be. During the day it seems to have a grayish tint to it. I have a SWG and all is balanced properly. Am I just looking to closely or does this sound like something went wrong somewhere? And, if this is a something went wrong, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

20x40 IG plaster, 3 ft to 10 ft, SWG, 1 skimmer, three return lines, main drain

No chemicals were used for 2 weeks?

Was the water balanced? Did anyone test the PH and calcium hardness?

Maybe etching because of the wrong chemistry from lack of attention after the replaster?

I am sure the experts will chime in and confirm or correct these comments.

dannynftl said:
no chemicals were put in for about two weeks and very little scrubbing was done during that time.

My question is this.....the plaster looks good but not great but I am very nitpicky. It seems to be somewhat cloudy and not the brilliant white that I was expecting or think it should be. During the day it seems to have a grayish tint to it. I have a SWG and all is balanced properly. Am I just looking to closely or does this sound like something went wrong somewhere? And, if this is a something went wrong, does anyone have any advice?

It's possible you had some scaling due to the water condition and no brushing. I'm nitpicky, too and my husband is overly so, IMO. He thinks our plaster is the worst job he's ever seen. I think the flaws are only obvious if you're looking for them and know where to look. And our pool was balanced and brushed.

The 'if something went wrong' part is probably that no one added anything or brushed the pool down. Those are 2 key components of new plaster. It's unfortunate that you were sick and couldn't do it, and no one else handled it. Not cool that your plaster guy won't return your calls. Was there an understanding and instructions as to start-up?

Most plaster has some level of grey, either all over or sometimes in limited areas. It is rare to see a perfectly clean white plaster. The grey can come from many places. The cement used in the mixture, the marble aggregate, the water supply or additives to the plaster mix can all contribute to a less than perfect plaster finish.

In addition, when trowelling the plaster, any use of aluminum or magnesium floats or trowels can leave metals on the surface of the plaster that can discolor the finish. Usually this is removed in the startup process by brushing and chemical balancing.

Plaster start-up is the most critical time for plaster. If it is not done right, the plaster can be damaged. There is probably scale contributing to the "dullness". You can lower the pH to about 7.2, lower the Saturation index to about -0.3, add a "Stain and Scale" control chemical and brush twice a day for 10 days to see if that would improve the overall appearance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.