Taylor Salt Test vs IC 40 SWG indicator

bware

Platinum Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
The Woodlands, TX
Given the rain we've had lately, I am a loss as to why the SWG is still indicating all is fine with 3600 reading and no errors. I just did the Taylor test this a.m. and it showed 3000. I'm certainly more than inclined to take the Taylor test as authentic and add a sack of salt, but does anyone else with the IntelliChlor SWG system have this much of a variance in readings?
Thanks
B

IC-40 doesnt actually measure salt, it measures conductivity of the water. A 600 ppm variance is probably with in the error of either the test or the IC-40 reading. As long as the IC-40 is happy, thats what counts. It's fine, I wouldn't add any salt.

Rain doesnt do that much to the salt concentration either unless you get a TON. 1 inch of water in a pool with your deminsions will add about 250 gallons of water, give or take. That amount of water wont do much to the overall salt concentration out of 15500 gallons of water.

I agree, the tests are not all that precise. It is actually usual for them to come out the same. The Taylor test is +-400, and the IC40 is about the same. So they agree within the precision of the test.

I use the Taylor test to make sure I am in the ballpark. Bottom line is my cell says to be at 3200 and that is where I try to keep it on the cells readout. The cells are programmed to run at maximum efficiency at a certain salt concentration. If your cell is happy and within range I say all good. And as mentioned above you would need a LOT of rain to move the needle on a 22,000 pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.

I'm the "Pool Boy" for three family pools. All three have IC40's and all three have the opposite of your readings. My IC40's consistently report about 400 ppm below the actual salt measured with the Taylor 1766. I try to add enough salt so that the SWG reports about 3400, and also trying not to go over 4K for the actual salt tests. Like everyone else, my only real concern is making sure the SWG does "think" the salt level is too low and shuts off.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.