VS Pump replacement

Jul 16, 2014
Evansville, IN
I was wanting to replace my single speed Pentair 1hp pump with a VS or 2 speed pump.

pool setup:
2 - 2" suction lines (1 main / 1 skimmer)
6 - 1.5" return lines (3 eyeball / 3 laminars) - manually adjust the valves when the laminars are on.

I attached some guages to measure the vacuum and psi.

Vacuum on suction side was 5 with both suction lines open, 10 with only 1 open.
PSI on return side is 18, (filter guage shows 15)

My pump is quite a distance from the pool, so I didn't know if a VS pump running at lower speed would still be able to circulate the water ok.

I figured the TDH to be 47.23 (Vacuum 5 X 1.13 =5.65) + (Pressure 18 x 2.31 = 41.58)

I looked at the chart on a Hayward TriStar VS pump (SP3200VSP), but not sure how to read it with the info that I have from the current pump.

A VS would not be a problem for that setup. But I would go with either the EcoStar or the MaxFlo over the TriStar. Any reason you chose the Tristar?

But given your location, it would be cheaper to just replace the motor of your current pump with a 2 speed.

- Lifetime costs at $0.16 would probably be less for a motor upgrade than a VS.

- Installation is far easier for a motor upgrade than a VS installation. If you have someone install it, it will be even worse.

- It doesn't look like you need multiple speeds.

That definitely makes it more compelling. So it is really your decision but I wouldn't get more pump than you really need. The MaxFlo is at a good price point and with the rebate makes it close to a two speed. Do you have an external controller or timer?

The new MaxFlo VS has a builtin timer. But if you like Pentair, the Superflo VS is also a good pump and you can use your existing housing if you wanted to so you don't need to replace any plumbing. The new version of that has a built in timer too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.