Full week of slamming and not much progress Pics included.

Apr 27, 2015
Flowood, MS
I saw great results last weekend starting my slam as you will see in the pictures below. However, throughout the week I started to get more of a grey green that is shown in the last picture (taken this morning). CYA is at 60 currently. Keeping the FC levels between 26 and 28 the best I can. Just ran out of the reagent that came with my Taylor kit so need to reorder some. This is my 3rd season with the pool and it didn't seem to take this long last year. Just wondering if I am overlooking something or if I need to be patient. I see that word used quite frequently around here ha. Thanks for any advice.dark_green.jpglight_green.jpgstale_green.jpg

I see some progress there. Like most things in life, the first 90% of the work takes only 10% of the time. The last 10% takes 90% of the time.

Rerread the SLAM article and make sure you haven't missed something. And if the bleach appetite has noticeably dropped, you might be ready to consider some finer filtration by adding some DE or cellulose fiber to the sand filter as mentioned in that article. A caution: only do that when you're going to be around to monitor the pressure gauge. The filter can load up really fast when you first start that. It would be the equivalent of putting a window screen over a barbecue grate. You'll catch a whole lot more stuff.

Thanks for all of your responses. Richard, I have not added DE to the sand filter before so I might need to do some research on that process. I will give this a few more days before venturing down that road. Thanks again, I'll post updates if things don't clear up.

-Also, this is a great site! I've been a lurker for 2 summers so far. It has been super helpful!

The SLAM is not a miracle cure. Its a process that will cure the pool of algae completely.
that one is pretty ugly and would not clear up in a week in any case.

It didnt get that way overnight, or even in a week. Its gonna take some time to clear it up. Hang in there man, and you will get it! the M in SLAM means Maintain the Shock FC level. Its critical to the timeline to keep the FC up!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have added the DE to the filter. I also checked ph and it has drifted up past 8.0, at least thats the highest the Taylor test kit will read. I have muriatic acid on hand, should I try to bring it back down? I know there is mention of the ph drift in the slam article so I don't want to waste the acid if I don't need to use it.

I have added the DE to the filter. I also checked ph and it has drifted up past 8.0, at least thats the highest the Taylor test kit will read. I have muriatic acid on hand, should I try to bring it back down? I know there is mention of the ph drift in the slam article so I don't want to waste the acid if I don't need to use it.
If FC is above 10, your pH will be reading falsely high. Pictures that prove it. DO NOT try to lower it.

This is the update from today. 2 Full weeks now. Not much has changed this week. I had to take a sample to the local place this weekend since I'm still waiting on replacement reagents. Pool store said cya was at 0. I'm a little suspect on that test as it was at 60 earlier this week. I didn't think that could drop so far so fast. I have been backwashing once a day, is that too often? Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions.

View attachment 35927

This is the update from today. 2 Full weeks now. Not much has changed this week. I had to take a sample to the local place this weekend since I'm still waiting on replacement reagents. Pool store said cya was at 0. I'm a little suspect on that test as it was at 60 earlier this week. I didn't think that could drop so far so fast. I have been backwashing once a day, is that too often? Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions.

View attachment 35927

I can't see the picture, and I would not trust that store if you already got 60 yourself. If you aren't able to tell what your numbers are being out of reagent, how do you know you've been keeping proper FC levels?

I can't see the picture, and I would not trust that store if you already got 60 yourself. If you aren't able to tell what your numbers are being out of reagent, how do you know you've been keeping proper FC levels?

I ran out towards the end of the week that's why I had to go into the store Saturday. I'm hoping everything will be in tomorrow. It is still about the same color as it was earlier in the week. Really hoping this week improves.

Have you raked all the debris off the bottom of the pool?

I've learned here that backwashing too often can slow things down because a *slightly dirty* sand filter apparently works better than one backwashed to death.

A smidgeon of DE can assist the sand filter. I bought a 10 pound box for $14 last year at Ace Hardware

Pool is starting to look better. Got all my test agents. I am continuing to rake everyday and monitor levels. Had a gasket failure on the multi valve and that has been serviced. Been a rough start to the season but it'll work out. I'll post back at the end of the week with hopefully a good update!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.