AquaRite SWG won't keep generating

I have an AquaRite SWG that won't keep generating chlorine. After initial "on", the unit will generate with an amp reading @4.42, however shortly thereafter it stops generating and the amp reading drops to @0.02.
The control is 8 seasons old, and the cell is new last season (2014). The system was working fine before winter closing last fall.
Any thoughts?

Welcome to TFP!

Unless the percentage setting is set to 100%, it is completely normal for the unit to cycle between on and off, being on for the given percentage of each 2 hour period.

Are you seeing any error lights/codes?

No other codes or error lights. Unit is set at 100%, this also happens when I set to "Super Chlorinate".
It will only generate for a few minutes (you can see the micro bubbles in the cell).
I understand the unit works off a percentage of time per cycle; does the system stop generating when it reaches a certain chlorine level?

No other error codes present, all looks normal.
Set to 100%, also "super chlorinate" setting reacts the same. After initial power on, generates like normal then 5 minutes or so it stops generating. Lights do not change.
Will the system stop generating after reaching a certain chlorine level, or strictly a percentage of time per cycle.

When set to 100% the unit should continue to generate the entire time the pump is on. The only exception I can think of is for cold water. Between 50 and 60 degrees it will only run a little, and below 50 degrees it won't run at all.

I don't spend a lot of time trying to get my SWCG up and running until the water is consistently above 60. They are too finicky at lower temps. I just use bleach until then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YES!!! my water temp was at 65 at 8:00 last night and my wife started the Aqua-rite...I just check now 5 hrs later and it is still generating ...I need to make a note to my Aqua-rite door not to expect it to work below 65 degf. Now I remember that it did happened to me a few years ago...

Bououo to the Haward rep that told me I needed a new cell after only 3 years of use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.