PH is at 7.2 (Which step should I take) ?

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
My PH is at 7.2. TA is at 80. CH is at 250. FC is at 8.5 and CC is at 0. CYA is at 30.

Under pool math, it is recommend I add washing soda or soda ash. Pretty simple and straight forward.

Question: Considering the pool has been opened early this year and the filter is running for approximately 4 hours a day, should I let the aeration of the pool increase the PH naturally?

No one will be swimming, especially in very cold water. I have 6 returns that rotate, creating more aeration then normal (Believe so).

Question: Is 7.2 PH safe for 30 days or so?

Or should I add the chemicals as the aeration may not do the trick over the next few weeks.

Question: How long does it take for PH to adjust and show during testing?

Thank you.

Did you add something to push it down to 7.2?

Leave it alone, and it will increase. Check it in a few days and see if you get some rise. I don't know your pool, so I can't say exactly how fast it will come up. Test every few days and see what it does. This is something you need to learn about your pool's behavior.It won't stay at 7.2 for 30 days and it's no big deal, especially in a vinyl pool.

Your returns shouldn't be breaking the surface much as a normal setup. If you want to do that to aerate to increase your pH faster, that's ok.

Although its not a huge deal either, your FC is a little high. Did you increase to there for some reason?

I added some PH + yesterday in the pool after 30 minutes of turning the filter on. Maybe the PH did not register or the chemicals are too old. Also, the FC is high because I added a gallon of 12.5% for super chlorination. I figured that within a few days, the levels would be down to normal. Also wanted to determine how much in FC I am loosing daily, so I know how much to add. It appears that I lost 2 ppm in 1 day. This could be because of the initial clean up. Failed to mention that my pool cover had a few holes in it. I pumped too much water out of the pool over the winter and needed to fill the pool up at least one foot. With the introduction of fresh water into the pool, the PH could have dropped. This also could be why the CYA dropped from 50 to 30, etc.

This will be my first full season with the TFP method. Last year I switched form the Frog system to the TFP method. Ironically I found someone who is using the Frog and sold him all my bac pacs, etc. Kind of worked out.

You should expect a 2 PPM loss under normal conditions. Nothing to worry about there. Just FYI, you can use Borax to raise pH. Or you can use washing Soda to raise pH and it's usually cheaper than buying pH Plus/up, which is the same product.

I wouldn't bother adding anything. All those numbers are in the acceptable range. Micromanaging the chemistry will have you constantly tinkering with the water for no good reason. And if you have some overpriced pool chemicals left, use them when you need them. pH up = soda ash = washing soda. Same chemical, fancier packaging, fancier price. When it's gone, buy the cheaper grocery store equivalent the next time you need some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.