Permanent Backwash/Waste Piping

Apr 24, 2015
Chesapeake/ Virginia
Does anyone on here run a permanent pipe out to the street for their waste hose? I was using the hose yesterday and it was getting frustrating very quickly.

I want to bury a pipe out to the street and get rid of that hose. Anyone know of a reason not to do this?

I'm Mobile

The previous owners had the backwash hard piped out behind the yard underground. I wouldn't recommend it without some kind of flow visibility. I lost a few inches of water last week to backwash (I assume) from a worn spider gasket. I originally thought I had a straight up leak/hole until I searched around on here for possible causes.

I think I'll be putting some kind of flow gauge or clear acrylic pipe to give some kind of visibility.

The new top assembly comes in tomorrow. :(

I use backwash water on my lawn. A rigid pipe would not allow me to move the water flow around, it would all be in one place. How often do you anticipate backwashing? I've never had to backwash more than twice in one calendar year.

I'd like to start doing this as well. I have the standard collapsible back wash hose but it's very poor at putting water where I want it and a pain to maneuver. Any chance you could show some shots of your set up?

I'd like to start doing this as well. I have the standard collapsible back wash hose but it's very poor at putting water where I want it and a pain to maneuver. Any chance you could show some shots of your set up?
There is no set up. I have a nipple on the backwash outlet and I attach the hose with a hose clamp. Then I carefully unroll the hose so there's no twists or kinks and let it rip. While it's spewing, I play fireman wrestling with the firehouse. When I'm done, I unclamp the hose and roll it around a big cardboard shipping tube and force the water out as I roll. I slide it off the tube and put it on the shelf in the garage until next time. Wear grubby shorts and T-shirt in case things get away. The most important thing is to ensure the hose has no kinks. They will not straighten out when water hits it, the hose will blow. Ask me how I know.

Hose nipple, pool section of the garden department at Lowes.
026497007032lg.jpg

I hate my backwash hose. I have 2 cheapie ones from Lowes that I connected with my own ghetto rigging of pieces that technically didn't fit but I made it happen.
What I hate is that they don't last long. Pinholes turn into bigger holes and as Richard mentioned.... Kinks are bad.

I hate dragging it out and making sure it's all flat.

I don't know why I'm having to backwash this frequently this year. I've been doing it once a week. Only when the pressure gauge goes up. Maybe it's the pollen. I even have a leaf net covering the pool so I know there isn't a ton of stuff getting through.
It's time for a fire hose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use my catch basin/ pump system that I need to keep my poorly graded yard from flooding in moderate rains. I have 2 basins each with around 120' of 2" PVC underground that route to my front yard and dump it onto my sidewalk.

I use black flex pipe from the multi port into a pipe that contains the power cord for my flood pump.

There is no set up. I have a nipple on the backwash outlet and I attach the hose with a hose clamp. Then I carefully unroll the hose so there's no twists or kinks and let it rip. While it's spewing, I play fireman wrestling with the firehouse. When I'm done, I unclamp the hose and roll it around a big cardboard shipping tube and force the water out as I roll. I slide it off the tube and put it on the shelf in the garage until next time. Wear grubby shorts and T-shirt in case things get away. The most important thing is to ensure the hose has no kinks. They will not straighten out when water hits it, the hose will blow. Ask me how I know.

Hose nipple, pool section of the garden department at Lowes.
026497007032lg.jpg
Might I ask, is the LA County Fire Department missing a hose......

I want to find some sort of diverter valve at the source so I can choose to use the water in the front or the back yard. Haven't been able to locate on so far.Right now I have 1.5" pvc as my current discharge to the back yard only, but want another to go in the front.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.