IC40 Dead, what to do...

Dec 27, 2014
Lemoore, CA
I have an old Pentair IC40 that failed on me several years ago. I tried cleaning it back then, even called Pentair, and could never really figure out what happened to it. It has been plugged in and operating ever since so I imagine it is definitely done now.

For what its worth while I had was plumbing in my new VS pump I attempted again to clean the IC40 and see if I had any luck getting it to work. I then reinstalled it and now with the pump operating at 1500 rpm I have a Red Power light indicating it requires service. I also have green lights for both Life and Flow and the generation is set to 80%. There is no light on to indicate salt level.

In response to this I disconnected the power cable to the IC40 for now to save some energy. I am considering removing OR replacing it.

What is the value of a SWG? I can purchase another IC40 on Amazon for just less than $500. Is their anyway that the cost of a SWG, salt, and the energy to use it offsets the cost of bleach? Or is it strictly a convenience SWG owners pay a premium to have?

It is mostly about convenience. There is cost offset, but bleach usually wins. With SWCG there is no buying, hauling and adding bleach every day or two.

I think the biggest benefit to the SWG is CONSISTENT delivery of chlorine to the pool - meaning do do not really have ups and downs as you add more bleach and then it looses effectiveness. With the SWG you always have a small but steady flow.

It sounds like you have a nice pool and already have the Pentair IC power supply so I would check ebay and online for a new IC 40 cell. They should last for 3-5 years or more depending on maintenance and time & % used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.