Blue devil CYA reagent and Taylor CYA test tube

Aug 26, 2014
League City, TX
A while back I had run out of R-0013. Not knowing any better I grabbed a bottle of CYA reagent from my LPS. Turns out it is Blue Devil CYA reagent and not Taylor reagent. But the results I was getting with it was somewhat consistent with the Taylor reagent so I did not think much of it at the time.

After searching I learned that the Blue Devil and Taylor reagents are not the same formula. Here's my conundrum:

I have pumped out rainwater out of my pool a few times this year to maintain the proper level, at least 5,000 gallons. Both CH and CYA have dropped which is consistent with me pumping out excess water. I am using the Blue Devil reagent in the Taylor shaker bottle and viewing tube that came with my TF-100. I am at the point where I have a full tube and the eyeball does not disappear at all ( CYA < 10 ). I am think about adding CYA, but after reading that the reagents aren't identical, I am questioning my test results.

So, should I ditch the Blue Devil reagent and get Taylor reagent and go from there? Or are my test results ok and it's time to add CYA?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.