chlorine won't stay

We finally got our cover off yesterday and the water was clear, but algae settled to the bottom. As I turned on the auto-vac it stirred it up good and now the water is all green. Initial test (via strip) was
FC-0
Ph-6.8
TA-240
CYA-0

Today:
Ph-7.2 almost a full box of Borax added early this morning
FC-0 maybe 1 1/2 gallons Bleach added-what I had on hand
CYA-0
TA-80

Went to the store and purchased 10 gallons bleach, 2 boxes Borax, 2 bags Baking Soda, and 2 bottles of Stabilizer, and 5 pk of Super Shock (yeah, I know...), and a 6 in 1 test kit until my good one gets here

Added 1 bottle stabilizer, 4 bags of shock and three hours later..
Ph-7.2
FC-.5
CYA-40
TA-80

...added 3 bottles of bleach

WHY am I losing chlorine?? Is the algae just taking it? It needs to go away!! Once I get FC hopefully up to the 16 shock level should I retain it better? Do I keep adding chlorine every hour or so until it reaches shock or do I need to dump it all in?

Attachments

• POOL.jpg
    POOL.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 114
What is happening is the bleach is eating the algae. This will continue until all algae has been consumed by the bleach. Then your numbers on what you need to add will be less and less. uV rays from the sun will also affect your FC level.

- - - Updated - - -

Also in the beginning of my SLAM I tested and added bleach every 2 hours as needed. I used pool math for the calculations on how much to add.

You want to keep it at FC Shock Level, Shock Level And Maintain and you will get results.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not let mine run overnight in case something gets trapped. I only run mine during the day. Here is a link to my SLAM process. You really need to get a TF -100 test kit to be able to perform the SLAM properly.
Page 9 is my pics from today

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/90889-TF-100-readings-and-my-SLAM-process

Thanks! Should I be running the auto-vac overnight?
No. Because you are killing so much algae, the auto-vac will clog up quickly and shut off. During this initial stage run the auto-vac only when you can check it every hour or perhaps less.

STOP using the bags of shock.....your CYA looks like it is skyrocketing and you will have bigger problems.

I am getting the TF-100 on Friday, just wanting to get a jump on the green since it has been growing since last Summer when the Perma Salt chamber went out..lesson learned and staying away from that mess! Do you add bleach overnight as well to maintain?

Great! I add bleach at 8/8:30 pm and then go to bed. I check it again around 6 am. I add some around noon/1pm also

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To go along with what Tim has said regarding the strips. You first reported a TA of 240 n then another TA of 80. That's night n day difference!

I was just reading and wanted to point out that limitless mentioned purchasing a 6 in 1 kit to use while waiting for the TF-100 (coming Friday?) So that is probably an OTO chlorine test....the strips were just the first report.

But I'll add... you can't really do much but sit in a holding pattern until you get the right chlorine test (the one that comes with the TF-100) If your CYA is truely 40 now (possibly higher since you've added the stabilizer *and* the shock which probably also had CYA in it)...you're going to need a higher FC than your test can measure. Be careful of adding anything else before your kit comes. A few more days of green isn't going to make that much of a difference.

I know you want to get started but if you can't test your chlorine at the level it needs to be you could very well be wasting it since the algae will be able to grow back faster than you can kill it. You need the precision of the FAS/DPD chlorine test to achieve and maintain that level. :)

Here's hoping for a quick test kit delivery!!

With a lined pool CH is not an issue unless it gets above 350. Let's hope you get the TF100 soon as right now you are kind of shooting in the dark. Your shock level is 12 and the 5+ doesn't tell you that you are there. If you are close to 12 the "yellow" color on your 6-way should be as dark as a school bus, almost turning orange. Anything less than 12 you are killing algae, but they are growing faster than you can kill them. That is the basis of the shock level in that once you get to shock you are killing them faster than they can reproduce.

Ok, so went to local pool store..don't worry, didn't buy anything, lol. Got the water computerized tested..
CYA-13
CC-10
FC-8.4
Ph-7.4
TA-104
Adj. TA-100
CH-67
They recommended BioGuard's Power Flock, but it's raining so I had an excuse not to buy. She said not to add stabilizer until clear because of all the vacuuming and backwashing, but with CYA only being 13, don't I need it up first to help retain Chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.