Does salt rust the pool

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I am considering the jump from Intex to permanent above ground pool. I am looking at a sharkline 15 foot pool. It has a resin top rail and I think its galvanized steel (as opposed to aluminum). The pool guy said that the salt could corrode and rust some of the beams and rails. Anyone have that problem?

He said I could use a chlorinator instead with the chlorine pucks and that would regulate that I'd always have chlorine.

The main reason I got salt in the first place with intex was that I never had enough chlorine but with the chlorinator it sounds like I'd always have it.

Thoughts about salt rusting the beams and rails and even the actual outside of the pool when water goes over the top

Salt does promote rust, if only slightly more than just all the water around the pool.

They are doing you no favors recommending a tab feed chlorinator as the tabs are almost half stabilizer/CYA which will quickly drive your CYA level through the roof.

So they don't sell pucks that are all chlorine? Why is that?

So I guess the consensus is to do the salt instead right? This is the one he suggested. It may be too big for my 5,500 gal pool . Is there a smaller one available?

I'm very worried thought about the cost of replacing the cell. I've heard that a lot of them last like 2 year.

http://www.amazon.com/SmartPool-CL02-ChlorEase-Saltwater-Chlorinator/dp/B002OWFDN6

Because Chlorine has to be bound to something. It cannot be packaged by itself in pure form.

In my view, I wouldn't think of a Salt Cell as worthwhile investment in such a small pool. It's too easy to take care of with very small amounts of liquid Chlorine/Bleach. It's a personal decision, but I would not suggest it in a 5000 gallon pool.

So they don't sell pucks that are all chlorine? Why is that?

So I guess the consensus is to do the salt instead right? This is the one he suggested. It may be too big for my 5,500 gal pool . Is there a smaller one available?

I'm very worried thought about the cost of replacing the cell. I've heard that a lot of them last like 2 year.

http://www.amazon.com/SmartPool-CL02-ChlorEase-Saltwater-Chlorinator/dp/B002OWFDN6

Chlorine is a gas in its natural state, and is extremely dangerous. It is most commonly bound with cyanuric acid or calcium to keep it in a solid state. That's why the pucks aren't all chlorine. The vote here will be for salt water chlorine generator or bleach, which is just a liquid form of chlorine, since neither of those will add anything extra to your pool. As for that salt system, I'm not impressed. I would want one that is plumbed into the system, and not something that is thrown over the side. I would think that would potentially overchlorinate that area of the pool; possibly damaging the liner. May not happen, but I just don't like it. Most swg cells last 5-7 years based on the experiences I've read about on this site. I need to buy another one since mine went out at the end of last season. I think it made it 6 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.