Pressure issue after vacuum

Rere

Apr 4, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Today I ran the vacuum and had an odd thing happen. I think I got too close to a main drain because it sort of felt like I got sucked in. Then when I went to remove hose from skimmer hole it was lose and basically floating. Now the skimmer has little suction and the returns aren't putting out the proper amount. Any suggestions?

We cleaned pump strainer basket and now there is very very little air in there. One teeny pocket at the top. We have an issue knowing psi as our gauge froze this winter and although I have purchased a new one, my dear husband has not replaced it.

Rere. That's an easy fix. Ask him where the plumbers tape is and take that out to the pump with you. Unscrew the old gauge and wrap a bit of plumbers tape around the threads of the new one and screw it in. Done :)

I get ya Rere. My husband won't do much of anything with the pool though. That was the deal when I got him to agree to put one in. I was afraid of everything at first. But over time there have been hurdles overcome.

If it's a regular dial gauge. It is that easy. Unscrew the old......screw in the new. Been there done that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it was just the lid that leaked; take it off, lube the o-ring, put some water in the pump, put the lid back on, start the pump. If that doesn't work, there's more brain storming to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you have a tube of o-ring lube, which you should, just put a dab on your fingertip and run along the surface of the o-ring. It keeps it from getting bound up and not forming a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow down, folks! If there is very little air in the pump strainer basket, then dropping prime is not the issue.
We cleaned pump strainer basket and now there is very very little air in there. One teeny pocket at the top
.Not having a working pressure gauge is a problem and you should get that fixed.

Since your system is primed but you don't have any flow, my suspicion is something got sucked into either your main drain or perhaps the skimmer and you have a blockage. A working gauge would tell us that for sure but perhaps you can go backwards through the pump strainer basket with a plumber's snake to see if anything is blocking the flow to the pump.

Ok. Thanks. I will remedy the gauge tomorrow and report back. I was so busy with my SLAM, I wasn't worried about the gauge as I was back washing a lot. A blockage makes sense since I was using the vacuum. However, the floating hose when I went to pull from strainer was odd to me.

I am thinking it is filter is clogged if you got the air out of the line. You had just cleaned the pool and if it had been shocked or had sand or things too small to get caught in the basket, they are in your filter. Does backwashing help? I have only had DE filters or Cartridge filters and both eventually get clogged and backwashing doesn't help and you have to open them up and wash down the grids in the DE filter and the Cartridge in the Cartridge filter. I do not know how you clean a sand filter but assume if has to be periodically opened and cleaned, I am sure someone here can address that.

Sounds like a Honey do issue to me, when was the last time he opened up and cleaned the filter?

I am thinking it is filter is clogged if you got the air out of the line. You had just cleaned the pool and if it had been shocked or had sand or things too small to get caught in the basket, they are in your filter. Does backwashing help? I have only had DE filters or Cartridge filters and both eventually get clogged and backwashing doesn't help and you have to open them up and wash down the grids in the DE filter and the Cartridge in the Cartridge filter. I do not know how you clean a sand filter but assume if has to be periodically opened and cleaned, I am sure someone here can address that.

Sounds like a Honey do issue to me, when was the last time he opened up and cleaned the filter?

Thanks. Honey never has. The pool is just a little over two years. Seems like his list is growing. Haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.