Cypress, TX storms on April 25th; cause any construction or post construction issues?

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
Cypress, TX pool owners: I'm curious if the high wind storms we had yesterday caused any problems with your pool. For the first time in 26 years in this house, we gathered humans and pets in the bathroom. A little after 7am, I saw the purple area on the radar headed our way. When the trees started waving and twisting like mad, I decided it was time to take shelter. We didn't have hail like last weekend, but I heard later the winds were moving about 60 MPH. It was nothing like Ike, in that it lasted maybe 10 minutes. But it was enough to bring down a number of power lines, stoplight cables, and trees. All I could think about was the pool, but she was fine. Not sure how the gunite could have been impacted. I haven't heard any talk of funnels in the area, and I certainly didn't hear the train sound I often heard living in north Texas and the Panhandle.

Our house had no damage, but in our neighborhood, at least 2 homes had trees fall on the houses. And many of us were out of power longer than comfortable. Our power was out 18 hours raising concerns for freezer goods and making sleep sticky and warm. The trees of our neighbor across the street fell and blocked the street for a good while. Luckily no structural damage.

We hope all our Cypress friends are well and escaped any property damage! Take care! Suz.

Tree down in front of our house:

Just North of you. We had some branches come down and a bunch of leaves in the new pool from yesterday's storm.

The hail storm last weekend was bad. We had golf ball size hail which damaged the roof and my truck was hammered.

Oh, I'm so sorry about your roof and truck! That's awful; I've been through that myself a few times over my life. It's frightening at the time and a **** headache afterwards. Fortunately our hail last week was only pea-mothball size.

I hope insurance will be helpful, but it seems they do their best to get around helping. As for cars, I've had 2 that we never repaired. One we called Measles, and the other, Lumpy. Where we lived at the time no one else repaired cosmetics on cars, so we didn't stick out.

Again, I'm sorry for the damage. I hope things resolve without too much hassle and expense. Take care... Suz.

On the south side in friendswood. We lost some cheap plastic chairs (no big deal). My neighbor's trampoline was upside down and a little bent. It even had the poles on the top with the net around it and still managed to flip.

There was another trampoline in an empty lot that must have jumped a fence!

Kept power and no house dance though.

Jabooh1, thanks for letting us know about your storms. We got power about 1:30 AM but lost it again this afternoon. Now it's back on, but who knows for how long. Our Internet is still down, so I haven't heard news of other areas hit in the Houston area. I'm sorry Friendswood was hit, too. Glad you didn't end up with a trampoline in your backyard!! Someone needs to write a CW song about the Texas trampolines jumpin' in the storms!

Spj318ti, I'm glad your power wasn't out for long. We're practically neighbors. For a suburb, Cypress is really spread out. I know what you mean... Those winds can raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Hopefully, the storms will stay away. I don't mind the gentle rains. Take care everyone! Suz.

Geez, two rounds of hail - that's awful. At least no serious damage. It's been a wild spring this year for weather. Then hurricane season begins...

I tell ya', after our pebble finish is applied and before the pool is filled, I'm throwing my body and anything else I can find over that finish to protect it from any hail. I imagine hail could do some damage to plaster or aggregate finishes without the pool filled. Have a great week, everyone! Suz.

They were at my house at 630 prepping to plaster. They took cover when the storm hit and then waited till about 8:30 for the rain to stop before canceling. They are gonna try again in the morning but my guess is it will ultimately be on Tuesday. No damage to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.