Best way to vacuum with my setup?

dndrich

Silver Supporter
Apr 19, 2015
Sebastopol, CA
Pool Pals:

New to this site, and really am learning a lot! Just got my nice test kit. What a difference. My pool is getting in shape for the summer.

I have always done my own pool maintenance, but this year I feel better prepared thanks to this site. Now, one thing I have never done with my pool is vacuum. I don't even have one. I do brush the pool. My pool does have a skimmer where I could attach a hose and get a simple vacuum. But my equipment is not set up for vacuum to waste. So, it would all go into the filter. Is there a problem with that? I guess it would mean I would need to clean my cartridge filters more often. Thoughts here? My pool does have a Polaris sweep on a pump, but that is not the same as vacuuming.

I seldom vacuum to waste now that I have my CYA down because it wastes water. Pick up a skimmer sock and place it over the basket in your skimmer. A over the top of that you will need a skimmer vacuum plate which seals the skimmer and has a hole for the vacuum hose. Vacuume away. The skimmer basket with sock will catch most of the stuff before it gets to the filter.

Just to add........if you can't get a good seal by using the vac plate------ditch it and plug the hose directly into the skimmer hole. Mine never worked right. No issues.

My pool does have a Polaris sweep on a pump, but that is not the same as vacuuming.
Well, sort of. It actually is intended to take the place of vacuuming. Why do you think you need to vacuum (I think you do to)? That said, don't think you have to run your polaris and vacuum all the time. I would count on the polaris to get 80-90% and then maybe a manual vac sometimes (not often) for a more thorough job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.