Pool Tile Replacement

Aug 6, 2008
Honolulu
We have pool tiles at the waterline and plaster below that.

A number of tiles are cracked, they have not fallen off. This is most probably due to the cement that adheres them not having any or enough flex in it and due to the many minor earthquakes we have. We also one big one about 2 years ago, which shock the house strongly and shut down the power island wide for about 2 1/2 days.

The questions are:

1. Can we remove the tiles without damaging the plaster and if so how. The pool is 14 years old.
2. If so what cement/adhesive and/or prep base would you recommend.
3. And what mortar would you recommend. I have read that a polymer base is better than latex or sand based, but it does discolor somewhat in the sun, any opinions here.

Thank you to all that respond.

I mostly do liner and fiberglass but I have replaced tile on a few concrete pools. This might be a bigger project than you think. You should be able to pry the tiles that are cracked off with a screw driver. Go in at the crack and take it off in two pieces. Make sure you have the same tile before you start this project.
I then chip out the mortar behind it.
I have used thinset mortar in the past and it has worked well.
You will need to regrout the entire pool after you do this to make it look the same. Use an epoxy grout or a non sanded grout.
Last step, get another oppinion from someone who does more tile work than me.

MEvan,

It had been so long and nobody answered this post that I forgot about it.

Thank you your answer was very reassuring. The last time I tiled was when I lived in Florida when I was much younger and did a whole deck which nearly killed me and now that I'm a fewwwwww pounds heavier I think that I will get someone to do it for me.

Fortunately I have just the right person and with your clear and concise reply I think we know exactly what we have to do.

My apologies for not answering earlier.

Aloha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.