will mustard algea survive hard winter?

Not sure if I should post here or in the algae forum. We have been dealing with a mild mustard algae bloom for about a month. I am going to close the pool first or second week of October. I plan to keep the pool at shock level for about a week before final closing. If we don't completely kill all the algae, will it return next spring? We get long hard freezes.

It's not a stupid question. I don't think anyone knows for certain, but in general algae has been known to grow, albeit very slowly, in ice water. CarlD [EDIT] (actually, it was Poconos (Al), but I still can't find the post) [END-EDIT] had pictures of that on The Pool Forum somewhere. So I would guess that it might not get killed off unless, perhaps, the entire pool froze solid (not just the surface).

Okay, thanks. Though they're not plant-life, I know parasites can survive (in fish for example) freezing temps...why fresh water Sushi needs to be flash frozen to something like -20 to-30 degrees. Just going to make sure I'm really aggressive with the shock then. Nobody is going in the pool now anyway....had our first frost last night.

Algae spores will not be killed by frozen water. Algae spores are in the air and on anything that is taken into the water; that's why you keep chlorine levels in pool water.

Raising chlorine levels before closing is a good idea but in the spring the spores get back into the water and will start to grow. Also any mustard or black algae spores in the water and get blown in by the wind will start to grow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.