Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: will mustard algea survive hard winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

will mustard algea survive hard winter?

Not sure if I should post here or in the algae forum. We have been dealing with a mild mustard algae bloom for about a month. I am going to close the pool first or second week of October. I plan to keep the pool at shock level for about a week before final closing. If we don't completely kill all the algae, will it return next spring? We get long hard freezes.
    Andrew
    25,000 gal IG Vinyl - PoolPilot SC48 SWG - Sta-Rite 1HP/System3 CF - AquaCal HeatPump - TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: will mustard algea survive hard winter?

Is this just a really stupid question? Or should I move it to the Algae forum? Or have I simply stumped the panel?
    Andrew
    25,000 gal IG Vinyl - PoolPilot SC48 SWG - Sta-Rite 1HP/System3 CF - AquaCal HeatPump - TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not a stupid question. I don't think anyone knows for certain, but in general algae has been known to grow, albeit very slowly, in ice water. CarlD [EDIT] (actually, it was Poconos (Al), but I still can't find the post) [END-EDIT] had pictures of that on The Pool Forum somewhere. So I would guess that it might not get killed off unless, perhaps, the entire pool froze solid (not just the surface).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, thanks. Though they're not plant-life, I know parasites can survive (in fish for example) freezing temps...why fresh water Sushi needs to be flash frozen to something like -20 to-30 degrees. Just going to make sure I'm really aggressive with the shock then. Nobody is going in the pool now anyway....had our first frost last night.
    Andrew

5. Back To Top    #5

Algae spores will not be killed by frozen water. Algae spores are in the air and on anything that is taken into the water; that's why you keep chlorine levels in pool water.

Raising chlorine levels before closing is a good idea but in the spring the spores get back into the water and will start to grow. Also any mustard or black algae spores in the water and get blown in by the wind will start to grow.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump