New Pool Northern Virginia Step by Step with Pics! Water in, nearing the end

poolnorthernva

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 14, 2015
Leesburg, Va
New Pool Northern Virginia Step by Step with Pics!

We have started our pool!
Currently we have completed tile, coping and stone work. Waiting anxiously for concrete decking.

We interviewed 6 builders and got 5 quotes. We decided to go with a smaller builder for two reasons. We trust him more and we wanted someone who was more involved on a day to day basis. He sold, designed and will supervise the build.

One of our biggest goals will be to maintain and add usability for rest of our yard.

We started digging last week.

Here are the details:

18' wide x 42' length
3' to 8.5' depth
Pool Sq. Ft. 750
Spa Sq. Ft. 40 (18" raised stone face)
CoverStar Auto Cover - encapsulated
2 LED Lights
Heater Master Temp Pentair
Filter Pentair DE
SWG
1 Sheer Descent water feature off spa wall
42' reverse bond beam with stone face
Quartz finish (still TBD)
Decking concrete broom finish

Re: New Pool Northern Virginia

Here is the first Before:
17276155045_dc8089d33d.jpg

From the front, standing approximately where patio area will be:
16653696514_bccfa808f2.jpg

Looking at area from deck:
17068708347_54643af9e7.jpg

And there goes the lawn.....
17068707567_1c0867c068.jpg

Alright! Looks good so far! Nice screen porch!

Thanks! We are looking forward to sitting out there at night with the pool lights on and listening to fall of water from the water feature. I have to hold on to this images while we go through this current process.

- - - Updated - - -

End of day one, before we find construction debris... :(
17068701687_b868b1fb76.jpg
[/url]

Ah, the old construction debris pit. Almost every house we have owned ended up having a spot that the builder dumped debris and buried them rather than properly dispose.

We found THREE debris pits at the school I work at. We found one of the when a child stepped on a rusty nail!

We had a few of the parents come out with metal detectors to help us find them. We had the pits dug up and cleaned up. It was a mess and very costly. I think the school board went after the builder. I do not know what the outcome of that part was.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We found a small amount of man made material, the rest looked to be fill dirt. We had to go down about 4 -5 feet in the shallow end and back fill with gravel. Has anyone else encountered this with their pool? What did you do?

Re: New Pool Northern Virginia Step by Step with Pics!

Gorgeous yard and lawn. Your grass greened up really fast in two weeks. I would have cried to see that beautiful lawn torn up, but it will be worth it when it's hot out. It was easy to see our lawn go. Most of it was strawberry weed.

I've always wanted a screened-in porch; yours looks heavenly! Great design and great rocks. At least you found some useful things in the dig! It will be fun to watch your build and to see the rocks all cleaned up. Have fun! Suz.

Gorgeous yard and lawn. Your grass greened up really fast in two weeks. I would have cried to see that beautiful lawn torn up, but it will be worth it when it's hot out. It was easy to see our lawn go. Most of it was strawberry weed.

I've always wanted a screened-in porch; yours looks heavenly! Great design and great rocks. At least you found some useful things in the dig! It will be fun to watch your build and to see the rocks all cleaned up. Have fun! Suz.
Thanks! It is harder than I thought it would be when we lost the grass and yard.

- - - Updated - - -

Here we are at the end of day 2 digging, before the 2 inch rain and cave in.... There is a 'chance' for a major rain storm in three days. We will have steel tomorrow then next is inspection. Don't think we will get gunite before the storm. Weather is hard to predict here so there is chance we will miss it. fingers crossed. We will also lose the spa area when PB discovers the debris, the soil is not original. Following pictures will show the gravel replacement.
17275622141_a2d9e1dae5.jpg

So we got a small cave in after a major rain storm. Lost several feet by the back return.
17275620141_dd94ea533e.jpg

Here we are with gravel and new framing where the cave in occurred. We had A LOT of gravel brought in to replace the fill dirt discovered. Has anyone had this problem when digging? What did your PB do?
17068684957_34555fbc3c.jpg
[/url]

Plumbing stubs going in.
16653651054_7327ebb6db.jpg

Another view, drains and returns. I 'think' they are pressure testing the lower drains, I will be talking with PB tomorrow to confirm.
17250124296_78ea6ed130.jpg

Tomorrow 4/29 we get steel! We also selected stone and coping on Monday. Our coping choice, we have been informed, is discontinued. We are not enthusiastic about the few other choices we saw. There was one that 'may' be acceptable, but we have a name mix up with our PB so are waiting for a picture from supplier to see. Our current direction is a gray with browns stone(dry stack) and gray(light to mid tone) stone coping. They have a less formal appearance. We plan on bull nosing the edge. For the long exposed beam we will double bull nose as well as for the spa. We hope we can find a good coping replacement, or we may need to rethink it all again.

Wow, that's a lot of gravel!!! Are you sure it's not French Gray Pebble Sheen?? Just kidding..... If you needed it, you got it! People in many parts of the country are dealing with weather delays. We certainly are in Texas. Patience is the key, but that's just not any fun, right?!

I feel for you on making choices, especially after you think you have it nailed and then find out, the coping is discontinued. So frustrating! I found what I thought would be the perfect waterline tile online and in a catalog just to be told it's so new, it hasn't even shipped from China yet. Two months ETA, at the earliest. I'm patient, but that's ridiculous. For me, the whole tile and stone thing is creating worse delays than weather. I can't seem to pull it all together. But little by little, I'm getting closer. So hang in there. That tile (the one still in China) made me go a different direction which I think turned out to be a good thing for me. I'll keep my fingers crossed you find a happy solution to the coping.

Steel tomorrow! Congratulations! I can't say it was as much fun as the dig and gunite, but for a newbie like me, I still watched the rebar phase like it was a newly released movie!! Have fun and take care! Suz

I'm sure you've seen the popular PA bluestone coping for this area. Can be pretty consistent medium blue/grays especially if you get the thermal surface. But may be more formal than you would like. Excellent stone for SWCG's due to its hardness. Ours varies from gray to some brown and rust and is natural cleft surface. Thickness can also vary.
Best of luck. Looking good so far. Gravel doesn't settle so no problem using it to fill-in over excavated areas.

I'm sure you've seen the popular PA bluestone coping for this area. Can be pretty consistent medium blue/grays especially if you get the thermal surface. But may be more formal than you would like. Excellent stone for SWCG's due to its hardness. Ours varies from gray to some brown and rust and is natural cleft surface. Thickness can also vary.
Best of luck. Looking good so far. Gravel doesn't settle so no problem using it to fill-in over excavated areas.

Yes Blue stone is one of our fall backs. We are also considering a gray travertine and potentially a 'federated' stone, which is concrete. The difference between the PA Blue and Federated is we can get Federated just a little lighter in color and bull nose edge would be much smoother. But of course, it costs more.

We don't know what direction to go yet for the coping. We have chosen the spa and reverse beam stone facade, it will be Falcon Mist, in a dry stack. Our coping would be either the Pa Blue Stone with a honed bull nose, like mentioned above by bmoreswim. It is a safe choice and fits for our area, the two stone combinations. It is a darker gray then our first unavailable choice. There is a concrete stone called Federal which can be a fall back over the PA Blue. Our other option we are considering is Walnut Travertine. It is a pretty stone and it brings out the browns in the Falcon mist. It takes the look in a different direction. Our concern is the decking is brushed concrete and we do not know how it will look when next to it. Most of the builds we see with a Travertine coping also include a Travertine type deck as well. We have a day or two or three to decide before the delay in ordering impacts build time. I'm not sure I can get pictures corralled and posted in time.

Other news:Steel completed yesterday bonding inspection today or tomorrow. Pictures hopefully tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.