Chlorine levels when adding salt to pool

paulio

Aug 31, 2013
Hi

I am in the processing of balancing my pool again after some heavy rains, which caused the pool to turn green. I"ve been SLAMming the pool with liquid chlorine until the water is clear but I noticed this morning when i looked at my SWG that it's complaing of low salt. I tested the salt level with test strips and it does read low, so I am going to add some more salt. However, the back of the salt packet says CL should be < 3PPM when adding salt but since I Have slammed its way higher in the high 20s. AM i going to be OK to add salt or should I wait until teh CL levels come down. I should point out that water temps are now around 20C so the low salt sensor could be out somewhat.

Paul

I have just added 40 Kgs after the rains, my Fc is up around 8ppm I didn't give it a moments thought, we had approx 350mm over the 2 days salt dropped from 4000 to 3000. I have just added a heater and a cover which is messing with my SWG and FC levels which I had just got on top of. I'm guessing you are in Oz judging by the kit...

Simon

. I'm guessing you are in Oz judging by the kit...
Simon
Hi Dibbler

You are correct, I am in Australia - Sydney in fact. The rains messed up the pool when it overflowed. I also ran out of FAS-DPD halfway through slamming it as well but it seems to have cleared.

Im adding the sun ray salt from bunnings. I know some say it's not good quality salt but I figured I'd try it once. On the back of the pack it says that CL should be around 3, but I can't figure out why.

Probably the same reason FC is 'supposed' to be 1-2 just the industry standard without the knowledge we get here :) I'm sure if you asked a Pool Store employee they would tell you the pool would spontaneously combust adding salt with an FC of 3.1 !
I used the Sun Ray from Bunnings & Big W, some one at work put me onto this superfine stuff which dissolves quicker. Its about a $1 a bag more but makes me feel better.
rains made a mess hey, I dropped my pool 120mm from nearly overflowing 1930 one night I think Tuesday night looked again Wed 0645 it was overflowing again !!!
My FC is quite high 9(CYA 70)currently as Im trying to rebalance FC with run time with SWG level with a new Heat Pump & cover, I suspect this high FC saved me.

I believe you are safe to add salt. I've added lots of salt over the years and my FC is rarely, if ever, below 3 ppm. Good job reading the directions though! I like it! :)

Dibbler is correct about the industry guidelines on adding salt with <3 FC.

Being blunt, the rains dis not make your pool turn Green. The only reason a pool will go Green with Algae is because of a lack of Free Chlorine. You were on the verge or in the beginning stages of an Algae bloom when the rains came.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.