pool heating for indoor pool - need help

Sep 26, 2012
st louis, MO
Hello

our pools electric resistance heater has gone out and it is very expensive to run.

I have been looking at Heat pumps, but then I realized the air flow could be a big deal with those, the room the pool is in is 20x40 with a sloping roof from 29 feet to 8 feet.

the pool pump is in a little room in the corner of this it does not seem like I could put this in there, at least not without making some vents in the room

then I have notice that heat pump only seem to last 5 ish years mayb 7

so i have looking at getting a solar hot water system and adding more panels, using a heat exchanger to exchange from the hotwater tank to the pool (the pool water never touchs the solar system this way)

any thoughts or experience?

First, if you could update your profile with your location we could better determine if solar would be advantageous in your area.

Is there a reason you would want to keep the solar water out of the pool? Thousands of pools use solar that just cycles the pool water through the panels. They way you are designing will have inherent loss to overcome.

More efficient, NO.. Cheaper, YES.

What part of the world are you located?

You really cannot run a heat pump inside, unless you have something like a parking garage or equivalent type structure.

updated location

First, if you could update your profile with your location we could better determine if solar would be advantageous in your area.

Is there a reason you would want to keep the solar water out of the pool? Thousands of pools use solar that just cycles the pool water through the panels. They way you are designing will have inherent loss to overcome.

updated,

the roof over the pool faces south, and i our only south facing roof, there are 9 sky lights in the way so space is limited and the panels will have to go on the very top, 30 feet is a long way to pump water.

also i just wanted to keep the pool water in the pool and away from expensive solar collectors, we want to heat our pool year round with this heater.

so i thought a glycol would be better to protech from freezing, I know you can do a drainback also.

I like the idea of the "hot water" system because they have 40-120 of stored hot water, witch would help buffer the cloudy days

More efficient, NO.. Cheaper, YES.
The highest system efficiency, in typical conditions (warm and sunny summer weather), is for conventional pool panels using pool water directly. At colder air temperatures best efficiency switches over to glazed panels. Using a heat exchanger lowers efficiency in all cases, though is sometimes required, for example when sharing panels with home hot water heating or other uses. See this post for more detail.

The highest system efficiency, in typical conditions (warm and sunny summer weather), is for conventional pool panels using pool water directly. At colder air temperatures best efficiency switches over to glazed panels. Using a heat exchanger lowers efficiency in all cases, though is sometimes required, for example when sharing panels with home hot water heating or other uses. See this post for more detail.

this will only be used for the pool as our Hot water heaters are to far away from the area and we do not have a basement to easily run lines, so ecah hot water heater would need its own system.

will check out provided link

Asking for solar heat to manage heating a pool, even and indoor pool 12 months per year is demanding a lot, and will require a larger solar collectors, the simple fact is, even ignoring issues of cloud cover, sunlight in the winter time has much less available energy than in the summer.

Asking for solar heat to manage heating a pool, even and indoor pool 12 months per year is demanding a lot, and will require a larger solar collectors, the simple fact is, even ignoring issues of cloud cover, sunlight in the winter time has much less available energy than in the summer.

what are my other option other than expensive electrical resistance? the last time it cost $900 to heat my pool from 54 to 88, and it took 4 days

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gas heat (either natural gas or propane) is not exactly inexpensive, but is far less expensive than electrical resistance heat.

A heat pump is possible, but it must be located outdoors and only works well/efficiently when the air temperature is 70+.

There are also some far more complex options, like geothermal, but the up front costs are very substantial.

Gas heat (either natural gas or propane) is not exactly inexpensive, but is far less expensive than electrical resistance heat.

A heat pump is possible, but it must be located outdoors and only works well/efficiently when the air temperature is 70+.

There are also some far more complex options, like geothermal, but the up front costs are very substantial.

gas is out, house is 100% electric and on a slab so would have to dig up concrete,

the house has a geothermal system, It is even able to heat water for hot water in the summer, I wish i could tap into this for the summer because it would help keep my loops cooler.

can't put the pump outside again would have to dig up concrete, is our room still too small for a pump?

so it seem keep electric resistance or solar and just dont swim if the water gets too cold in the winter

Just to update:
I put a heat pump in, I used a dog tunnel to direct the air away from the heat pump about 20 feet, when the heater is not running the room gets hot and humid when the heater kicks on it makes the room cooler and less humid, I have plans to put this into a vent system that's in place already

I'm sure the tunnle might be reducing flow a little but the heater heats just fine, took 2 days to go from 64-82, i dont have a cover right now as mine basically fell apart working on getting a new one

priced out a solar system, was way to expensive, basicaly they were going to use it for hot water and any heat that was need on the oversized system fo hot water would heat the pool, didn't have 15K for that right now lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.