Can't get TF-100 CYA test to work

May 7, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
I've successfully done the CYA test on the AGP at my previous house many times. I have a new house with a salt water pool now and can't seem to get this test to work. When I first tried it 5 months ago I got a 0 CYA reading. I took a sample to the pool store and they told me the CYA was 75. I was happy with that. I assumed the R-0013 CYA reagent I had was old so I bought a new bottle from TFT Test Kits. Today I tried this new bottle and I'm still getting a 0 CYA reading. The black dot is never obscured at all. Is there something different about measuring CYA in a salt water pool I should know? Maybe my CYA really has gone down to 0 since last November? I doubt it since the Sodium Chloride test says I have 3400 ppm which is good and I hardly ever need to add a bag of salt (3 or 4 bags in the past 6 months) and the pool always looks great. I hate going back to the pool store because they always want to sell me a bunch of stuff.

Thanks,
Don

When the dot is still visible, you have 0 CYA. There is really little that can go wrong with that test. The R-0013 reagent is inert so it is not subject to much, if any, degradation.
When I first tried it 5 months ago I got a 0 CYA reading. I took a sample to the pool store and they told me the CYA was 75. I was happy with that.
Well, that shouldn't have made you happy. Are you following the test directions carefully? (1 part pool water and one part reagent and then mix) Trust your own testing.....if you are doing the test correctly and you get 0 CYA, then you have 0 CYA.

I believe I'm doing the test correctly. I have a 4lb bottle of solid stabilizer on hand so I'll add that and measure CYA again in a few days. The Pool Math Calculator says this should raise CYA from 0 to 32. If I can get the test to register somewhere close to this then I'll have confidence to add more to get it up to the proper range. Thanks for your advice.

I'm still confused why the pool would be doing so well with 0 CYA. I thought CYA keeps the chlorine from dissipating. The sodium chloride test I just did was 3400 and the FC test was 5.5.

It didn't get cloudy at all. I had the same thought about the possibility there is no CYA. I just added some CYA so I'll try to test again in a few days.
it can take up to a week to show up,on the test.

How did you add it? In a sock or dump it in the skimmer or pool? If you just dumped it make sure no filter cleaning for a few days or you may clean out your new CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.