Chlorine won't come up...and other questions

Here are my numbers...advice please

Hi,

I've been struggling getting my chlorine in order the last couple weeks. I've been a little all over the forum lately, so I'm rededicating my efforts to this thread! There is a lot of great information out here

Pool is not crystal clear, but I can easily see the bottom, the drains, and the returns (PVC hardware) on the opposite side of the pool.

Just now, here are my numbers:
pH = 7.5
FC = 2ppm
CC = .5ppm
CH = 275
TA = 90
CYA = 50

I cleaned the T-15 cell this past Sunday, and it is currently set to 75%, but seem to be losing ground on chlorine.
Cleaned the filter this past Sunday too.
I've been working on raising CYA the last few days, adding about 1lb Monday, .5lb Tuesday, and .5lb Wednesday (all in the evenings).

Let me know!

Two people posted to keep your questions in one thread and then you created ANOTHER one. It is now merged. Please keep your questions together. jblizzle

- - - Updated - - -

Turn the SWG off.
Raise the FC up toward shock level (see FC/CYA Chart).
Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
Report back.

And use 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD chlorine test so each drop is 0.5ppm and save your reagent.

Appears I overshot the shock level initially, hopefully not by too much?

9pm: FC = 30ppm CC = 0.5
6:15am: FC = 20ppm CC = 0.

Pool math says to add 72oz to get back up to FC =24ppm. Or should I push back up to 30 since that was my first shock level?

ok, thanks.

Added the bleach. Turned back on the SWCG too.

The tf-100 instructions say to add a 'heaping' scoop of DPD powder to the 10ml of water.
Just curious...does the slight variation in the amount of this heaping scoop effect the results of the test?

Why did you turn in the SWG? Bliz just advised to turn it off right up there ^^^^ yesterday. With SWG on you will not be able to determine what your chlorine usage is and what kind of prgress you are making reducing consumption. And how are you going to determine how much bleach to add?

Fair question. And I thought about it before I left for work. I turned it on low since I knew the ProLogic system shuts off the SWCG if chlorine is met, and I didn't want to risk a drop again. Figured that I cant determine chlorine usage very accurately with the sun blaring down all day anyway. In any event, I'll recheck it later today, and will keep doing OCLT (with the SWG off, of course).

I'm trying to follow the TFP recommendations best I can...and will keep plugging at it. If the recommendation is to turn off the unit during the day, then I'll do it.

Certainly appreciate the inputs and keeping me on my toes!;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are gone all day, the SWG can help maintain the FC.

But, that is not how a SWG works. It will not stop production at a certain chlorine level. The % you set is the amount of time the SWG is actively making chlorine.

That sounds like a fair compromise and a good thought process. Keeping chlorine level up at shock level is definitely the most important part. I am not against leaving the SWG on under these circumstances.

Hi
Here's my latest OCLT

11pm test: Fc= 24. Cc= .5
7am test: Fc= 23. Cc =.5
Water is clear.
image.jpg

By the numbers I've completed the SLAM. This has been my first proper slam (nevermind my first attempt), but for whatever reason I'm not 100% confident that I've crossed the finish line.

What are some good follow up steps and things to keep in mind?

Good morning forum!

My pool passed another OCLT!
8pm: Fc = 20. Cc= .5
7:30am: Fc= 19.5. Cc= 0

Two questions:
- how does chlorine drift back down to more normal levels? (I'd be happy to hear the science behind it, if anyone knows)
- which tf-100 tests are effective at this chlorine level? (E.g. pH is skewed high when FC > 10)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.