Ceramic tile question

middleseat

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 12, 2014
Houston, USA
Greetings, all! We are about halfway finished with our pool build and came upon a possible issue. I was under the impression that it would be best for ceramic tile to encompass the whole waterline of the pool, but the tile guys just finished and it looks like I have ceramic tile, rock, and veneer at the waterline.

The PB says it's something he's been doing lately that looks better than the ceramic tile look.

Any ideas? I thought having the veneer and rocks at the waterline might be an issue in the future...image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I've seen it more and more. We have 6 or 8 rocks at the waterline under our waterfall. They have held up fine for three years so far.

Welcome to TFP! Nice pics! Please update your signature and location as described here.

Hey Middleseat! I've seen a lot of pictures online of stone at the waterline. Are you using a salt water system? There's tons of debate over the impact of salt on the softer, natural stones. If you are using a SWG, you might do some research to form your own opinion. From what I've read, keeping the water chemicals right is the key. (with any system)

I think the main purpose of a ceramic or porcelain tile at the water line is for cleaning purposes. It helps disguise (especially lighter tiles) any scum or other build-up, and a shiny or smooth and slick tile makes for easier cleaning than straight plaster or aggregate. But stones? Who scrubs stones? That sounds like a great solution to keeping the waterline nice! Come to think of it, I'm having a devil of a time selecting waterline tile. Maybe I'll switch to stonework!!! Thanks!

Just want to say, though, I love your choices in materials! You've got that whole natural thing going on beautifully. And your PB using the stones, etc at the waterline extends your theme even better than most tiles. I can't wait to see it all finished. If you can, please post your design and any other pictures, even if from the early build. We're just CRAZY to see pictures of all the build stages. And like Pooldv said, give us your specs! Thanks for sharing! Suz.

Let me ask if the area where the rocks are located was it cut down to add the rocks? Was it planned in with the Gunite spray? I'm thinking the bond beam should have been one level all the way around the pool with the rocks sitting on top of the bond beam. If not there may be some water weeping thru the mortar used to lay the rocks down with.

Todd

The main issue is that there will always be a little calcium buildup just above the waterline. Cleaning this off of tile isn't too bad, but getting it off of stone can be quite a pain due to the uneven surface. This isn't such a big deal in high humidity areas (where evaporation of splashed water is minima), but in Houston I would expect it to be an aesthetic issue after some time goes by.

Thanks, Jason, for clearing me up on the cleaning of stone at the waterline. I guess I was thinking it might not show up as much (again, that's what I get for thinking!! LOL!!). I've lived in Houston my adult life since 1977, and it has always seemed pretty humid. I didn't look up any stats on it. Maybe we're a little too far inland to get the benefit of minimal evaporation.

Funny story for Houstonians: When we visited my in-laws on Cape Cod years ago, my MIL needed her siding repainted, but the painter wouldn't paint if the humidity was 58% or more. We laughed and said no painting would ever happen in Houston if that's what our painters followed! Maybe her painter was just lazy....

I keep learning from you guys on TFP!! Thanks so much and have a great day! Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's great to see all of the replies so far! We really do have a great community here at TFP...

The notched area in the spa is for the "power seat" - basically a seat with more jets.

The area where the rocks are was formed as notches in the gunite stage. I didn't even realize it was a possible seepage issue until you brought it up, 36racin. Thanks! I'll ask my PB about it.

The calcium on the rocks and stacked stone veneer is a possible issue. I guess I'll have it bead blasted every couple of years instead of every 4-5 to stay on top of the calcium deposits?

Keep the replies coming! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.