CYA %99-100?; on the market did Clorox take over? What to look for or stay away from?

TeamNelson

Platinum Supporter
Feb 15, 2013
Tucson (Marana) AZ
The normal stabilizer CYA brand I've bought Kem-Tek looks like it got a shove off the shelf from Clorox products at my home store...

So now they advertise for pools & spa's (Clorox Pool&Spa 4-lb Stabilizer Pool Balancer) OR another jug for use with SWG... (Clorox Pool and Spa My Salt Pool Saltwater Stabilizer, 5.5 lbs)

What do I look for to make sure I'm getting the right thing? 99-100% CYA or? I've have all three pool,spa & SWG. I don't know why; I'm just not sold on Clorox being in this market being the sole marketer. I'm not going to step foot into a pool store & nobody can drag me back there.

Any help to clarify my CYA needs?

FWIW, the guy at Lowe's where I buy my Kem-Tek CYA told me that Clorox had bought out Kem-Tek and was just branding it differently. I have no idea if he was correct.

As for the change from 4 lbs to 5 lbs, my guess is that it gives them an excuse to raise the price of the bottle, even if the price per pound doesn't change significantly. It means you have to buy 5 lbs whether you need 1 lb or 5. Still cheaper than most pool stores, though.

The clorox company doesn't make the pool chemicals and actually kem tek doesnt make their pool chemicals either. If I'm thinking right it is KIK Custom Products that make them. Ever who it is makes several brand names and they just wanted the clorox name on their box because it is familiar with everyone (hence bleach and cleaning supplies). I read this somewhere earlier this year when I noticed Clorox Pool and Spa replaced Aqua Chem at Walmart and Lowes.

I did notice Clorox Pool and Spa Chlorine Stabilizer states 100% Cyanuric Acid on the bottle so yes that is what your looking for. It is $12.77 for 4 lbs at Walmart. Last year when it was Aqua Chem Stabilizer, it was $13.47 for 3 lbs so it seems clorox is a little cheaper but it's the same thing and probably came through the same factory.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.