smaller inlet orifice as poor man's massage jet?

Dec 30, 2013
SF, CA, USA
working on the inlet/outlet placement for my hot tub, i realized i could put a couple of small orifices around the tub at back level for the inlets, which would not be too different from massage jets. i know it would increase the system head and so make the pump work harder, but maybe these little nozzles could get me out of adding the separate jet pump and orifices (my jet needs are modest, this isn't a commercial spa or anything). i would like to know your thoughts.

Getting jets specifically designed for a hot tub generally gives a better experience, and some decent jet fixtures are available for reasonable prices. Still, what you propose could also work.

However, while I can't be sure without way more detail, I suspect your "jet pump" issue is misplaced. Most commercial jets are designed to get maximum effect for reasonable amounts of pump effort. DIY jets are likely to need a larger pump to get the same effect.

Also, I am not sure what your reasoning behind talking about a separate jet pump is. It is quite possible to build a spa with only a single shared pump that still has good jet action.

Aeration is not at all required, but it does tend to give you a better jet experience for a given amount of pump energy.

My spa has two returns hooked to a venturi that get fed from the pool pump-filter-heater. It also has five returns and a separate drain that goes to a booster pump. I never used the booster pump and it sprung a leak and seized and I never bothered fixing it. You don't need a booster unless you want a huge amount of bubbles. I don't. It wastes heat, blowing cold air up through the warm spa, and the returns are just at the right height to pound the kinks out of my back and shoulders when I'm seated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.