New Pool - Orlando, FL

Mar 27, 2015
Orlando, FL
This is a belated pool build thread because the pool has been completed for 3 weeks now. Along with the new pool, I demolished and old porch and re-built it to cover a larger area, and with new deck (pavers vs. concrete).

I didn't come across this forum until a few days before the pool was going to be completed, but based on the reading I've done since then it appears like my PB knew what they were doing and did things the right way. They are highly rated in this area and do only custom pools and renovation (no new home construction pools).

Pool Overview
  • Approximately 14,285 gallons
  • 13'x29' Rectangle with 13' x 4' Sun Shelf (shallow end)
  • 3' to 6.5' Depth with ~1' Depth Sun Shelf (full 9-10" of water depth)
  • 2 Parascope Bubblers on Sun Shelf
  • Screen Room Enclosure
  • Magic Marcite Aqua Pearl Mini Pebble Interior in Bimini Blue
Equipment Package
  • 1 x Pentair IntelliFlo VS 011018 Pump
  • 1 x Pentair Clean & Clear RP 200 Cartridge Filter
  • 1 x Pentair IntelliChor IC40 Salt Water Chlorine Generator
  • 1 x Pentair IntelliBrite 5G LED
  • Intermatic MultiWave Automation System (PE653 Receiver, PE953 Remote, PA122 Water Temp Sensor, 178PA28 Air Temp Sensor, PE20000 Load Center)
  • Hayward AquaNaut 200 Suction Cleaner
Plumbing
  • 2 10" Anti-Vortex Main Drains w/3" Piping
  • 1 Skimmer w/ 3" Piping (stepped down at skimmer)
  • 1 Dedicated Suction Port for Cleaner w/2" Piping (stepped down at entry into pool)
  • 2 Parascope Bubblers on Sun Shelf w/2" Piping
  • 3 Returns w/2.5" Piping (single loop around pool, stepped down at entry into pool)

Pool construction was completed in 5 weeks and 1 day. I had zero weather delays (highly unusual, especially for the time of year in FL with daily rain) or other delays of any kind. I also kept the PB construction supervisor on his toes. I work from home so every time a job was completed I would let the construction supervisor now. This easily eliminates a weeks worth of time because there was no waiting on him to get to the site to check things out, or for me to give him an update after getting home from work, etc.

There are still a few remaining items: Additional grading as we ran out of dirt to grade things the way I would prefer, and then sod. I also need to install the ceiling for my porch. I will also be running multi-colored remote controlled LED light strips around the screen room perimeter.

I had just finished construction on putting an addition on my house (bedroom for my daughter) about 1 month prior to pool construction starting, and the house still needs to be painted, so excuse the look of the exterior.

Now for the fun stuff, pictures and videos!

I have around 240 pictures/videos in total, I'm including about 50 of them in this post.

I also have time-lapse videos I shot with my GoPro HERO 4 Black (except for the first vid). I shot these through every step of construction, and they are really fun to watch. Experience an entire build process that took 5 weeks in less than 15 minutes! Video's are all HD (except the first one), so make sure you choose 1080p for best quality!

If you don't want to scroll through this thread, or you want to see ALL the pictures, here are links:

Here we go!

Demolition

Before
IMG_1635-XL.jpg

Old porch slab and roof demo
IMG_1648-XL.jpg

IMG_1653-XL.jpg

IMG_1668-XL.jpg

IMG_1671-XL.jpg

Demo complete... or is it??
IMG_1677-XL.jpg

What do we have here? A surprise in-ground hot tub! And say hello to my chihauhau
IMG_1683-XL.jpg

IMG_1701-XL.jpg

Not a surprise though. This was in-use when I moved in. Around 800 gallons and almost 30 years old. It was in good aesthetic shape, but it had multiple leaks. Wife and I used it a couple times. After a few failed attempts to fix the leaks we drained it, cut off a couple inches off the top and filled it up then poured a few inches of concrete. I had the pleasure of shoveling it out, since it was way cheaper than paying the PB's excavation company. They popped the shell out of the ground for me for free though.

Construction - Staking - Click here to Watch Staking Time-Lapse

IMG_1704-XL.jpg

IMG_1706-XL.jpg

Construction - Digging - Click here to Watch Digging Time-Lapse

IMG_1707-XL.jpg

IMG_1710-XL.jpg

Digging done, just fixing the form. Notice how a corner of my house has NOTHING UNDER IT! That was a bit scary. It was actually like that for a full week, but nothing bad ended up happening thankfully.
IMG_1712-XL.jpg

Construction - Steel - Click here to Watch Steel Time-Lapse

IMG_1716-XL.jpg

IMG_1734-XL.jpg

IMG_1728-XL.jpg

Construction - Gunite - Click here to Watch Gunite Time-Lapse

IMG_1744-XL.jpg

IMG_1748-XL.jpg

IMG_1750-XL.jpg

IMG_1760-XL.jpg

IMG_1773-XL.jpg

IMG_1780-XL.jpg

IMG_1787-XL.jpg

Construction - Plumbing - Click here to Watch Pre-Grade, Plumbing & Tile Time-Lapse

IMG_1793-L.jpg
IMG_1792-L.jpg

IMG_1800-L.jpg
IMG_1802-L.jpg

IMG_1804-L.jpg
IMG_1798-L.jpg

IMG_1807-L.jpg
IMG_1813-L.jpg

Completed equipment area (minus some landscaping
IMG_2041-XL.jpg

Construction - Tile

IMG_1824-XL.jpg

IMG_1829-XL.jpg

Construction - Porch - Click here to Watch Porch & Coping Time-Lapse

IMG_1861-XL.jpg

IMG_1874-XL.jpg

Porch ceiling is still to be installed. 1x6 Beaded Pine T&G, painted white
IMG_2039-XL.jpg

Construction - Pavers - Click here to Watch Pavers Time-Lapse

IMG_1855-XL.jpg

IMG_1883-XL.jpg

IMG_1893-XL.jpg

Construction - Screen Room - Click here to Watch Screen Room Time-Lapse

IMG_1932-XL.jpg

IMG_1929-XL.jpg

Construction - Pool Interior - Click here to Watch Pool Interior Time-Lapse

IMG_1935-XL.jpg

IMG_1949-XL.jpg

Construction - Filling, Final Plumbing & Fire-Up - Click here to Watch Fire-Up Time-Lapse

20 hours to fill. Not many pictures and no video.... very boring process!
IMG_1950-L.jpg
IMG_1951-L.jpg

COMPLETED!

This was before they did final grading, hence the dirt pile
IMG_1952-XL.jpg

IMG_1953-XL.jpg

IMG_1965-XL.jpg

IMG_1969-XL.jpg

Very nice!!! That is a really big covered patio :D

They sure whet big on the plumbing. Likely it all could have been one size smaller with no issues, but no harm in going big.

The original plan was for things to be even bigger, but I ran into an easement issue. The end of the deck towards the backyard rides a power company easement line. I talked to the power company about 3 years ago and they told me I could go into the easement, about 30 feet into it. So, when we started doing pool design a few months ago I kept that in mind. We designed the porch to be covered all the way to the corner of the house )3' further than it is currently) and the sun shelf would have been on the side of the pool facing the patio with the main pool area being 15x30. This got me outside of the area in the corner of the house while being around 8' into the easement.

When I called the encroachment advisor to get approval, she told me nothing in the easement. What had change? The power company was purchased by another power company about 18 months ago, and the new power company has a long-standing and strict "nothing in the easements" policy. She even told me that they were in the process of clearing all easements where prior allowances were noted and filed.

So we had to re-design to this shape. All that being said, the change saved me about $5k on the pool/deck (really no impact on the covered porch area), which didn't disappoint me one bit as things were already more expensive then I wanted them to be. It would have been nice to have the larger deck area and main pool area, but everything turned out nicely and it's still a good sized pool for our needs.

I have a TF-100 kit as well as a cheap Poolmaster kit which I originally purchased. Right now I have the PB's service company for the first 3 months, which keeps them largely on the hook for things going bad during the initial months of the pool, but I intend to drop them after the 3 month period. I'm trying to check things on my own every 2 days as well. So far, the only thing to manage has been slightly high pH, which I imagine is from the finish still curing.

I'm hoping I see the pH start to stay fairly stable in a couple more weeks, although we're now into daily rainy season, so I'm sure that will require some management.

Nice build and great pictures. I do have a question. I am in Sarasota and we probably have a few different building codes, but were footers required for the patio posts? If so, what were the footer requirements and how far were you required to stay from the pool? Thanks

Yes, the posts for the patio roof have footers under them. If you click through to the gallery at SmugMug you can see a few pictures of the footers before the concrete was poured.

All the people I've dealt with through various construction projects told me that Seminole County where I am generally requires rather oversized footers. So, to appease the guys doing plan review, the guy who does my plans usually goes big. Those footers are 32" x 32" and 16" deep. The one that's up against the house ix 16" x 16" x 16" and there is rebar drilled/epoxied into the existing house slab. The posts are 6x6's.

The PB indicated that regulation they follow for distance to exterior of pool shell for structural footers is pool depth + 1 foot. However, you can go closer then that distance by simply adding extra steel to the shell for the span that is in that vicinity of the structural footer.

In my case, those footers were originally spec'd to be about 12" from the outside edge of the shell, but they ended up about 20" because I didn't want to have the footer sitting over any plumbing (for future repair access). The depth of the pool where the center footer is located is about 4', and there was no issue with the footer being that close. They just added extra rebar in that area. The entire deep end by the house also has extra rebar. You can see it in the pictures in the full gallery.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lights! Camera! Action!!! So much fun! Thanks for sharing all of this. You put in a ton of work documenting your build. And the fun part for us is we can watch it all at once like a movie rather than a weekly serial with commercials, etc.

You built a beautiful pool! You've got to feel great about that. I love the color of the pool and the paver deck. I'm having a paver deck, also, for our pool. But I'm paying someone to do it for us!!!! Again, thanks for sharing, and don't stop now. A guy like you has more plans than you can keep up with. Let us in on the future additions to your pool/outdoor space. Take care! Suz.

Joined TFP recently and just came across your Thread.
Belated best wishes. I am also in the Orlando,FL area. You have a beautiful pool and I really enjoyed watching the construction. It went much quicker and smoothly than mine is going. I am about 6 weeks from the dig and do not have the footers or pavers yet. At rate they are going will take at least 4 weeks to complete.

Link to my pool construction:
New Pool - Orlando Florida

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.