Where is my chlorine going?!?!

Sooo - I did the 400 oz of 8.25% at 1145. Values are now
FC 3.0
CC .5
ph 7.2
TA 110

I am guessing I check again the FC tonight and maybe tomorrow morning? Do I leave my pump running all night?

400oz should have added 11 FC to the water. Yet you're measuring 3.0. If all that chlorine was used up killing algae or something else in the water, I would tend to think CC would be more than just 0.5. But you also state the water is clear...

This seems weird to me. Just throwing out ideas for possible explanations:
1) Pool is ginormous (I think you've ruled this out)
2) Bleach is weaker than indicated (I think March datestamp rules this out?)
3) Bad test kit reagent (unlikely unless the kit is years old)
4) Test procedure error

Not trying to call you out, but a testing error is the most likely culprit here. Was the test container clean? Did you use the "chlorine only" vial? Did you take surface water, or arms length in the pool? Is the pool fully mixed (pump running)? Did anything dirty come into contact with the water in the test vial before measuring? Even oil from your skin would use up some of the FC.

I'm grasping at straws a bit, but I'm having a little trouble understanding where all that FC went.

I dont understand either … which brings me here :) I repeated the test a few times - the one I just did was arms length (thank you for that tip)

FC 2.0
CC .5

I am confused. I am not sure either. I have no problem being called out - if I'm doing it wrong I am so ok with that … but I really don't think I am.

Are you sure you're adding enough of the powder to the water before adding the reagent? Are you using the right amount of water in the test tube(10 ml)?

- - - Updated - - -

you could also check using the second chlorine test(the one using colors) to see if somethings off in the testing

Yes leave for filter running 24/7 until you have net all criteria for the slam. Make sure you check the dates on the liquid chlorine before you buy it. I got 10% at Home Depot, but it was last years stock and I was not adding enough because it had weakened. I just went back to 8.25% from the store as it has a date in 2015

Good morning TFP forum,

I have completed the SLAM and met all the criteria. Now that I did, I am nervous to make changes to my chemistry for fear of upsetting the apple cart. I think IO read and understand the articles presented here, I am just asking for a little reassurance before I move forward,

Number last night 9:30pm (last chemical add was at 630pm)
pH 7.2
FC 14
CC .5
CH 250
TA 140
CYA 30

This morning (0:dark 30)
pH 7.2
FC 13.5
CC 0 - .5 (I gave that range because it was the FAINTEST pink I could imagine and I almost didn't count it as pink. I did add a drop and thought I saw a change
to more clear)
CH 250
TA 130
CYA 30

Salt is at 3200

checking my steps here …
1 - raise CYA to 70-80 - I have liquid stabilizer.
2 - lower TA through aeration? (I have a fountain)
3 - adjust pH

In the meantime I turn on my SWG and allow my FC to drift back down to 4-6?

On my swim pure plus manual - It states to have CYA between 30-50 … any thoughts on that? It seems to go against what TFP recommends.

Thanks for your help:)

Yes, looks like a good plan! I would put cya at 70-80. The SWG doesn't know or care what the cya level is. Good job! :goodjob:

Don't turn on the SWG yet. Wait for FC to come down first. And retest ph after FC drops below 10 before working on PH or TA.

Did I not complete the SLAM properly? Previously numbers (stated above) indicate that I did … and I am now back to where I was again.

History since 5/2

5/3 morning numbers (10:00) were

FC 2.5
cc 0
CH 250
TA 120
CYA 40

I dumped about 2 gallons + maybe 1/2 gallon of 12.5% chlorine in and put SWG at 100%

Yesterday
FC hovered around 3.5/4
cc 0

All day sunday I aerated with my fountain. I added 1 1/4 gallon of liquid stabilizer. I also cleaned the filters AND OF NOTE - I smelled the most disgusting smell I have ever smelled when I cleaned my filters on Sunday - I clean my filters about 3-4 times per season and I have NEVER smelled that. Smelled like dead fish (algae maybe ??) but I have never smelled that before.

This morning

pH 7.3
FC 1.0
CC 0
CH 250
TA 120
CYA 40-50

I have a solar cover that is on almost full time …
I have been brushing daily and vacuuming daily.

And as I am typing this here - I get a call from a friend who was 'talking to a friend who has had a pool for years and said I need new water'

Weirdest thing is???? My water looks like crystals - NEVER better truly! This is my third season as a pool owner and used pool store testing and advice the last two seasons.

SLAM again? Increase pump time and SWG%? Is my cell not working? (I did check it - looks beautiful and it was completely new conversion to Salt water last year)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have not 'cleaned' it but it looks the exact same way it did at the beginning of last season when it was installed. Could I be missing something? I will read - but is there a speciL way to clean it? Only bring FC to 9? Any reasoning behind that? Just so I can learn ...

I have not 'cleaned' it but it looks the exact same way it did at the beginning of last season when it was installed. Could I be missing something? I will read - but is there a speciL way to clean it? Only bring FC to 9? Any reasoning behind that? Just so I can learn ...

Are you slamming or just trying to maintain? If slamming take it to slam level. If maintaining you are just bumping it enough to test your daily ppm loss and not fall below minimum FC level.

I would clean your cell. You can do it be diluting muratic acid in water set cell in cup of diluted muratic acid and watch it bubble. When bubbles stop then rinse with tap water and put back in. I lose about 7 ppm a day without SWG on

Ok - I didn't know if I should be slamming - with my low chlorine I thought I might but I didn't have any CCs. I wasn't sure. I will clean cell now and raise FC to about 9 and see ...
Should I leave my pump running over night? Right now it runs from 10-6 ...

If you already passed the OLCT then today I would just raise to 9 ppm. Leave SWG off today and test later to see how many ppm you have lost. Raise your CYA to 70-80 also if you have not already. As I think you are losing FC to the sun

It does not hurt to leave pump running over night.

Lisa - you may be my new best friend ... I am hoping it is just loss to the sun ... I am at lowes now getting granular stabilizer

Lisa - you may be my new best friend ... I am hoping it is just loss to the sun ... I am at lowes now getting granular stabilizer

Happy to help. Remember the granular will take about 1 week to completely get your CYA up.

- - - Updated - - -

These are my past 2 days readings coming off SLAM

5/4
6:30 am
FC: 25.5
CC: 0

6:30 pm
FC: 18
ppm loss of 7

5/5
6:45 am
FC: 16

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.