Seattle or Chicago?

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
So with all the rain we have had here in the last 2 weeks, I'd thought I'd share my misery. I feel like this is Seattle, it has rained nonstop here since Thursday.

It was shear genius of me to turn off my heater Labor Day weekend as mother nature has ensured there we be no more swimming!

In the last 10 days I have made 4 seperate trips out to the pump to drain off 3 inches of water at a time. The pool overflowed twice during the monsoons, so with the drainings/overflow I estimate we've had at least 14-16 inches of rain. We've had the remnants of three hurricanes make their way up here. I need to go out and drain off another 2, but since the water drains to the corner of the yard and there is still an inch of water sitting there I think I'll wait till tomorrow. I'm amazed our sump pumps did not give out as they have been running constantly. :rant:

I have been adding chlorine when I can get out there and my test results have all been fine, I was surprised to see my PH rising a bit, which is okay by me because it was on the low side a few weeks back. CYA is gone, it was 25 before all the dilution. But I'll wait till Spring opening to add some. I've got my solar cover on to keep the sun from wreaking havoc and help it stay somewhat clean before I close, I hate vacuming from outside the pool. No traces of CC's, course no evaporation either which at this point would be a good thing...

I had planned to close the pool next week, but I think I'll wait a couple weeks and make sure nothing develops, especially if we get a warm spell. The water is still pretty warm, probably around 80 degrees. Okay, end rant. :blah:

Well FPM, I have watched you guys get pounded up there. We got the high winds from IKE and there are about 500,000 still without power today. I was able to take of one day of work and my son has had two days off of school. Never thought IKE would affect Ohio like it did. Can't complain, could be a lot worse.

I would think PH would raise because of the splashing of the rain? We didn't get a lick of rain, but the wind sure did take down the temp in the pool. However, Monday I jumped right in (75) and cleaned the pool up. Tons of dirt and leaves in it. At least we heard it was coming and got all the outdoor furniture under the deck so it didn't end up in the pool. Blew the solar cover off at the beginning so we just rolled it up and kept it off.

We too, are going to wait awhile to see what happens. Our evenings are getting too low (49 tonight) to probably be able to warm up to my way of liking. At least I can lay atop the float and not touch the water if I don't want to. Suppose to be nice this weekend. I'm still hoping we can get through up til mid October like we did last year (Ha!).

Good luck with your new pond in the yard :) I hope you all can dry out for awhile!

I should count my blessings! The winds of Ike seemed to be focused further East in your neck of the woods, so I shouldn't complain, we had no winds and no power losses. The cover is off the pool as I type for evaporation purposes....the ground was dry enough that hubby could get out and mow the grass that was approaching 10 inches, but the ground stilll "squishes" when I walk on it. They aren't forcasting rain at all this week thank goodness, it was getting really depressing!

My sister's house in Indiana got some serious flooding out her way, she lives by a small creek and she said the water was the highest they've ever seen. Washed out the road in front of her house and her driveway was flooded, stranding them in the house. Three seperate cars drove in to the ditch created by the floodwaters when the road collapsed. Amazing pics around here on the news from all the flooding. It was so widespread, which is unusual around here.

We live about 80 miles east of Galveston, so I know how ya'll feel.
I was surprised to see all the flooding in Il. while we were evacuated.
We almost came up to Peoria for a family deal but we decided to stay in Tyler Tx.
I came home Tues. and have spent about 3hrs. so far pulling stuff out of our pool. I pulled one branch out that was so big I thought I was going to have to cut it up to get it out of the pool. Surprisingly I don't think there are any holes in the liner.
I put about 4 gals. of bleach in yesterday and ran the filter as much as I could while the generator was on and it looked like it was beginning to clear some.
I'll run it continously once we get power back and hopefully it'll clear up so I can cover it before the few leaves we have left begin to fall.

FPM,

Sorry to hear you had to close up your pool early.

Have you ever lived in Seattle? I ask because you seem to be spreading the misconception that it always rains in Seattle. :p

This is what we want people to think so they stop moving here. :lol:

While we have grey weather (high cloud cover) for a lot of the year, our rainfall is generally a mist. We can go out in the "rain" without a jacket, hat or umbrella and we never get wet. I have seen more drenching, monsoon type rains in FL and PA.

As well during the summer (5th July - September), 19 hours of daylight without clouds or rain and highs that normally do not get above 85, all without humidity!

Then again, how cold are those winters in Chicago? :)

mtbarr64 said:
FPM,

Sorry to hear you had to close up your pool early.

Have you ever lived in Seattle? I ask because you seem to be spreading the misconception that it always rains in Seattle. :p

This is what we want people to think so they stop moving here. :lol:

While we have grey weather (high cloud cover) for a lot of the year, our rainfall is generally a mist. We can go out in the "rain" without a jacket, hat or umbrella and we never get wet. I have seen more drenching, monsoon type rains in FL and PA.

As well during the summer (5th July - September), 19 hours of daylight without clouds or rain and highs that normally do not get above 85, all without humidity!

Then again, how cold are those winters in Chicago? :)

LOL :mrgreen:

My cousin lived in Seattle, and I visited there once, in September, 95. I've never seen so many coffee shops/stands in one place, there must have been one on every corner :p . We had the most beautiful weather, it was sunny and in the 80s for a week straight. I was ready to move there!

I hate Chicago winters. I'm ready to become a snowbird when hubby retires. It's just a matter of time now... :wink:

So I haven't closed my pool yet, and am now considering turning the heater back on, as they are forecasting sun and 80's all week. The bottom of the pool got all cruddy and I hate vacuming from the outside. So I think I'll warm it up to 84 and get in and vacume before I close it up next week....

Well I can't believe it but our pool cleared up about 2 days ago, looks like we didn't even have a huricane. I checked the numbers last night and everything looks pretty good, the ph dropped some and all the bleach I put in before evacuating and after returning has got the FC kind of high, but it's clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.