Leaking 12 year old 2.5 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump

I have a 13,000 gallon pool with a DE filter, Navigator® Pro cleaner and 12 year old 2.0 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump and a 2.0 booster pump.
The main pump in leaking in the front. I was paying .31 kWh, running 4 hours approx $2.75 to $3.00 per day. Now I'm on a
TOU-B plan with SCE which allows me to pay .11 kWh from 12 am to 8am, paying approx $1.00 per day. MY question is
should I fix the 2.5 pump, replace with 2 speed or get a VS pump ?

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!

With electricity at $0.11/kWh you will have the lowest lifetime costs by either fixing the leak, or replacing the pump with a two speed pump (depending on how easy it is to fix the leak). If you expect your electric rates to back up to anything remotely like $0.31/kWh then a variable speed pump is a better deal.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The cheapest up front cost would be to just replace the motor on the existing pump, or go to a 2-speed version. (Assuming that the wet end of the pump is fine, maybe just replace the seals). If you are not going to run during the higher cost times, then the 2-speed would be the best choice, although a VS would be more flexible and cheaper if you ran during the day.

First, Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

A 2.5 HP Whisperflo is a VERY large pump, what requires you to have such high flow rates? You may be able to switch to a smaller motor and impeller.

At 12 years old, the motor mounting plate's brass threaded screw receivers are likely to be corroded beyond usability. Trying to get the motor mounting screws out is very likely to be difficult without ripping the brass insertss out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.