You guys should start accepting bitcoin for donations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would just like to quote a website on this subject and add some of my own comments.

http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/6181-bitcoin-for-small-business.html

"Bitcoin offers four primary benefits: lower transaction fees, merchant protection, increased sales and the ability to cater to consumer preferences."

"First, the lack of a central intermediary dramatically reduces transaction fees. Small businesses accepting credit card payments often face fees of around 25 cents for each card swipe, plus 2 to 4 percent of the transaction total," Brito said. These costs add up, which explains the credit card minimums at businesses like dry cleaners and convenience stores, he explained. "In contrast, businesses that use a merchant processor like BitPay or Coinbase pay fees of 1 percent or less on bitcoin transactions. If you are a small-margin business, that difference could mean doubling your profits.""

As for the paypal option:
https://blockchain.info/wallet/paypal-vs-bitcoin

Services like bit-pay and coinbase make accepting bitcoin's as easy for merchants as accepting PayPal, funds can be immediately exchange for domestic currency so exposure to exchange rate fluctuations is minimal. The advantage for merchants is that as bitcoin is digital cash it does not support chargebacks, funds cannot be frozen and payments cannot be blocked.

Big win for Bitcoin.

Bitcoin allows almost every penny of what I donate to go to who I am donating to. It is a big win for both the people donating and to you. Bitcoin is easy to use and very safe. I don't have to pay someone to give me a certified check and I don't have to put money in an envelope and hope for the best! I don't have to pay postage and you don't have to pay a paypal transaction fee! It is as easy as me handing you cash and there is no way for a merchant to charge me more than what I agreed to and there is no way I can pay less than I agreed to.

I already use bitcoin for every purchase that I possibly can online. I have two VPS's that I pay for every month with bitcoin and I buy stuff from overstock.com using bitcoin too. Hopefully bitcoin is the way of the future and all websites will soon accept it!

This is from coinbase.com's webiste:
https://www.coinbase.com/merchants

Eliminate Interchange Fees
No fees for the first $1,000,000 of bitcoin payments, after that just 1% to instantly convert bitcoin to cash.

This is from paypals website:
$0 to $3,000 monthly2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
$3,000 to $10,000 monthly2.5% + $0.30 per transaction
$10,000 to $100,000 monthly2.2% + $0.30 per transaction
$100,000+Call: 1-855-787-1012

That is a HUGE price difference!

I dont even know what a bit coin is. If I cant put it in my pocket, then take it out later and buy a hot dog and a beer with it at the baseball game, then I dont really need one.

Exactly.

No one ever gives me my money back once I hand it over. Maybe I should start asking them too. :scratch:

Don't misinterpret this as being rude, but If you want to join in with support you can find a way. The choice is yours and no one is coercing you. IMO, I don't think the forum is going to start taking this form of payment any time soon.

:gone:

I am an electronic payments type of guy, I never carry cash anymore. But, and it is a big but Bitcoin is just to volatile

Here is a quote from Ric Edelman about Bitcoin:
You know what the big problem is? The value is unstable. A year ago a Bitcoin was $13.00: today a Bitcoin is $1,000.00. A 1,000 percent increase in one year. If you bought $1,000.00 worth of Bitcoins a year ago today you’d have $1 million. If you bought $10,000.00 a year ago: today you’d have $10 million.

And it’s because of this astonishing level of volatility that it’s catching the attention of scamsters and speculators. In a single day China declared they don’t like Bitcoin so the value fell 40 percent. On a single day Zynga declared they’re going to accept Bitcoin and the value jumped 40 percent.

The Wall Street Journal did an analysis and found that over the last four years Bitcoin is 8 times more volatile than gold prices. What’s the true value? An economist, Brian Westbury, did a calculation and he said – using two different sets of formulas – he said he’s not sure, but Bitcoin is either worth $500,000.00 or $50.00. He wasn’t sure.

I understand inflation is slowly eating up my dollars, but I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon of a "currency" that can loose 40% of its value in one day. If the dollar looses 40% of its value in one day we have bigger problems to worry about.

Tim5055, Bitcoin is volatile. I am certainly not expecting the operators of this form to hold bitcoin as a speculative investment. Coinbase will instantly convert the bitcoin you have been paid into USD so you have no risk to the fluctuations of bitcoin. I hold some bitcoin as a speculative investment and nothing more. When I want to make a transaction with bitcoin I convert my USD instantly to bitcoin and send it to the merchant so I am not exposed to the price fluctuations either. That being said the volatility of bitcoin is much less than many other investments in the market today and it is becoming less and less volatile every day. Just look at the price chart. I believe bitcoin (or something like it) is going to be the way of the future. **** even mastercard is starting a bitcoin credit card!

Patrick_B, I was not talking about a person handing back money when you ask them. I am talking about the chargeback mechanism that credit cards and paypal use. If someone disputes a transaction the merchant is usually the loser and must give the money back. This exposes the merchant to risk that cash or bitcoin transactions do not.

I am not withholding a donation based on the payment types the website offers. I don't have the money to make a donation in anything other than bitcoin right now because my budget is tight but I don't count my bitcoin in my budget. So I would be able to make a bitcoin donation today but not a cash donation. I do however, plan on making a donation regardless of the outcome of this conversation. This website has been tremendously helpful and deserves my support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.