Can a regular residential Heat Pump be used to heat a pool?

Apr 23, 2015
Houston Texas
Post split from Heat pump sizing for small temp increase
i have a hayward heat pro I think it was 2500.00. Works great.They are basically an ac unit,I think all of the brands that are ahri certified should perform similar.

Can you go into further detail on this?
I'm about to become a first time pool owner and would like to have a heating option for winter. Most of Texas runs gas for appliances and natural gas pool heating options are just outrageous to run from a cost standpoint. However I work for a HVAC distributor and have access to "heat pumps" in the true AC sense. You stated that a pool heat pump is essentially an AC unit....and even mentioned AHRI.... Can you help me figure out or just say yes or no if you could actually use a York Heat Pump (electric) as a heating source?
Would it be cost effective vs gas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The pool heat pump condensers are water cooled by the pool pump, as the water flows through the titanium coated heat exchanger it picks up the heat and sends it to the pool.a home unit is air cooled and would not work, plus a pool heat pump is a larger unit than most homes use.my pool heat pump is almost ten tons (110,000 btus).

There are three parts to a pool heat pump system, the compressor, air heat exchange unit, and water hat exchange unit. The first two are essentially identical to a residential home heat pump for heating and cooling a house, the third part (the water heat exchanger) is unique to pool heat pumps.

It is possible to purchase an appropriate water heat exchange unit and retrofit it onto a conventional home heat pump, but that would take some custom work and the result would be missing several features of the control system that are unique to pool heat pumps. There are a few companies that sell separate control systems for this application, but they don't sell very well and thus are expensive, and as Loudonno mentioned, the sizing doesn't normally match up at all well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.