Dull film on tile? Opinions needed...

sssmason

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2008
Mason, TX
Hi everyone - I am new to posting here - I just finished my second pool, but I am still learning. Here is my issue. I picked a really pretty tile for our pool - natural to match our Texas rock. As soon as it was installed I noticed every tile had a dull film on it - very uniform. I kept thinking it would come off when the grout was cleaned, then when the acid wash happened, etc. Well, it never did. My PB told me it must be the hard water we have, but I know that isn't it because there is not "line" on the tile and it has been like that since it was put in. I will try and send pictures to show the difference if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can tell my PB? If so, how do I fix this? I LOVED the tile when I picked it and it just is not the same.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• tileweb.jpg
    tileweb.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 139
  • tileweb2.jpg
    tileweb2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 139
When the tile is grouted, it is pretty easy to leave a haze of groput on the surface of the tile.

Looking carefully, you should be able to see "swirl" marks like it has benn washed with muddy water and then allowed to dry.

Apply a 4:1 ratio of water/muriatic to the surface of the tile and see if that removes the haze......just a test spot first...don't get much of the solution on the grout line.

Thank you for the replies!

I am definitely going to try the acid, I hope it works! I just haven't ever worked with it before.

As for the tile, I guess it could have been sealed by Master Tile, but I wasn't ever told that. I wouldn't think they would seal it and then let people buy it without knowing, but who knows?

It does looks like it's pores were clogged, but I am just not sure how to "un-clog" them? Any ideas or just try the acid?

Thank you again, in advance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.