Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dull film on tile? Opinions needed...

1. Back To Top    #1

Dull film on tile? Opinions needed...

Hi everyone - I am new to posting here - I just finished my second pool, but I am still learning. Here is my issue. I picked a really pretty tile for our pool - natural to match our Texas rock. As soon as it was installed I noticed every tile had a dull film on it - very uniform. I kept thinking it would come off when the grout was cleaned, then when the acid wash happened, etc. Well, it never did. My PB told me it must be the hard water we have, but I know that isn't it because there is not "line" on the tile and it has been like that since it was put in. I will try and send pictures to show the difference if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can tell my PB? If so, how do I fix this? I LOVED the tile when I picked it and it just is not the same.

Thank you in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18K gallons, 100' perimeter gunite pool w/ 18" raised 7 1/2 ft. spa and 6 ton rock waterfall, dark grey plaster w/ blue quartz
    30" Hayward Sand Filter-98GPM, Full 1.5 HP Northstar Hayward pool pump (2.4 total HP), 3/4 hp Tristar waterfall and bubbler pump, Hayward 400,000 BTU Heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, PCC infloor on benches and step, 800 sq ft of rock and cool decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Dull film on tile? Opinions needed...

When the tile is grouted, it is pretty easy to leave a haze of groput on the surface of the tile.

Looking carefully, you should be able to see "swirl" marks like it has benn washed with muddy water and then allowed to dry.

Apply a 4:1 ratio of water/muriatic to the surface of the tile and see if that removes the haze......just a test spot first...don't get much of the solution on the grout line.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Was the tile "sealed" to show the pattern when wet?
    When they cleaned off the grout, it might have clogged the open pores of the tile.
    Can you see the pattern better when wet?
    Wrong tile installed?
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the replies!

I am definitely going to try the acid, I hope it works! I just haven't ever worked with it before.

As for the tile, I guess it could have been sealed by Master Tile, but I wasn't ever told that. I wouldn't think they would seal it and then let people buy it without knowing, but who knows?

It does looks like it's pores were clogged, but I am just not sure how to "un-clog" them? Any ideas or just try the acid?

Thank you again, in advance!
    18K gallons, 100' perimeter gunite pool w/ 18" raised 7 1/2 ft. spa and 6 ton rock waterfall, dark grey plaster w/ blue quartz
    30" Hayward Sand Filter-98GPM, Full 1.5 HP Northstar Hayward pool pump (2.4 total HP), 3/4 hp Tristar waterfall and bubbler pump, Hayward 400,000 BTU Heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, PCC infloor on benches and step, 800 sq ft of rock and cool decking.