I've finally done it

Vegasmom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
I haven't been around here much lately as I've needed support in another area...but I'm proud to say that I have officially kicked the habit. I quit smoking last Sunday after numerous failed attempts (I could never go more than 10 hrs. without giving up.)

I also had a very sad event last Tuesday (Day 3 into my quit) My Chinese Waterdragon that I loved and spoiled for almost 7 years passed away. It was a rough week but I made it through.

I just wanted to post because I'm really proud that I've done this after 27 years. Hopefully this will inspire someone who's been thinking about it and wanting to quit. It is possible, and it sure is nice to be free. :-D

As someone who is almost a professional at quitting smoking since I've done it so many times all I can say is GREAT! You should be very proud of yourself. :goodjob: I am in the process myself AGAIN, doing the patch. Started today! I had quit but started again when school started (we got off to a bad start with all the storms and were sent home the first week so week and the second week because of them so we've been playing catchup. ) As soon as I finish going through the forum I am going to start on my lesson plans!
So far so good. Haven't wanted a cigarette all day!

Congratulations! :goodjob: I quit 14 months ago now. Life sure is a lot easier as a non-smoker. I was really surprised how much time smoking took to keep as a habit!

Well, hang in there...it gets easier with every day! Lots and lots of deep breaths! :wink:

Wow! I get surprised when I find out how many people are ex-smokers. It's really not cool to smoke anymore, is it?! Thanks so much for your words. Any encouragement and support along this road means alot :-D

Waterbear, you can do it :goodjob: I made it through heck week, lol..that was probably the hardest. And yeah, it doesn't help when life throws curveballs at you while you're trying to quit. The mind is a very powerful thing, though.. and I've identified all the reasons I've failed in the past. So I'm looking at it entirely different this time. Also taking Chantix, which helps even though it has some not so great side effects. I found a great bunch of people on the cessation group at about.com. It helps to 'be' with others who are going/been through it. They're very welcoming so come by if you'd like :)

Yeah, I used Chantix as well. It is a wonder-drug! I took it for 60 days and stopped because of lack of sleep side effects. But they were very minimal comparitively. Waterbear...you ought to try it! It really does work if you are really ready to quit. It won't make you quit, but it sure does help the process!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Several years ago, I came down with a pretty bad case of viral pneumonia. Was in the hospital for 10 days (and of course, couldn't smoke because I was pretty much bedridden and on oxygen). I get home, and like an idiot, started back smoking again. I told myself if I ever caught pneumonia again, I'd give them up for good. Fast forward to 4 years ago, and lo and behold, I came down with pneumonia again, but not as severe (walking pneumonia this time). I decided it was time to give it a try, so what I'd do was wait as long as I could, then light one, smoke it just enough to take the edge off, the cut off the lit end of the cigarette and put what was left of the cig in the ashtray until the next time I needed to take the edge off. I'd heard of a system called Nicotrol that was basically what I was doing with the cigarette, except you inhaled menthol and nicotine, and nothing else. Used that system for two weeks, and finally told myself "If you're going to quit, then quit!". Put the Nicotrol down, and never looked back.

Midtngal, I know exactly what you mean about how much time you lose to smoking. Back when I smoked, I was going outside every 30 - 45 minutes to smoke. Now I go out twice a day - lunch and quitting time.

Yep, Mike, right there with ya...every 30 minutes or so it was. The time I was standing out in the rain under an umbrella when another office suite person pulled up was when I decided that I just couldn't look any more stupid than I did right then and I needed to get in the mindframe to quit. Besides, I was starting to sound like the "convenience store lady"...you know that gawd awful hack! Amazingly enough, I still miss it....until I walk by someone in the grocery store like I did tonight that stunk to high heaven and thank God that's not me any more!

And it's not just cigarettes. My father has suffered long and hard from them, so I would never consider smoking. But I discovered dip in college. Some people say that this is more addictive than smokes, which I can believe. And some people, including me, seemed to think that it was different somehow.

I've quit (cold turkey) three times in the past 20-something years, and it's been horrible every time. Thank goodness I'm clear of it right now ... and hopefully will be tomorrow.

The first time I quit I remember being on the telephone while looking out the window when a bird flew past. One eye followed the bird and one didn't. Fell on the floor, sprained a wrist, and got a goose egg on the forehead. Don't remember what happened with the phone call.

Managed to stay clean until the night of the breakup that became the divorce. Boy that first dip tasted nice. But quit again (just as painful) a few years later.

Started again the day my wife came home with the news that bed rest for the next 5 months was our only option and no guarantees in any case. Again, sure tasted nice, and got me through the bed rest months, but I managed to quit again about a year ago. Hopefully for the last time. (And don't worry, baby boy came out just fine!)

Tobacco is evil. But boy it tastes nice ...

And BTW, I used to be able to hit a mosquito on the wing at 6 feet 8 times out of 10. I know, very disgusting ...

Congratulations! :goodjob:

I'm a smoker. However, I haven't smoked in over 7 years now. Still get cravings once in a while, but I'm mostly disgusted by the smell. Once a smoker, always a smoker. I just choose not to smoke. I used Nicarette gum when I stopped smoking. It's what worked for me.

midtngal said:
Yeah, I used Chantix as well. It is a wonder-drug! I took it for 60 days and stopped because of lack of sleep side effects. But they were very minimal comparitively. Waterbear...you ought to try it! It really does work if you are really ready to quit. It won't make you quit, but it sure does help the process!

It's not a magic pill, that's for sure. No such thing! I took it once before but it didn't work because I wasn't ready. I've tried just about everything in the past (LOL, Sammm..swinging watch!) Patch, gum, laser, CigArrest, SmokeAway, Wellbutrin...you name it.

I never believed in myself enough, I guess. Here's a saying I came across that is truth: "Strength is a matter of a made-up mind".

I'll probably always want to smoke (I'm having weird smoking dreams lately and wake up feeling guilty because I think I've actually smoked!) I just know I can't ever have one puff, and in a way it's very depressing. Like I'm being deprived. But I have to focus on the positives in my life from now on. Not something that I know will eventually kill me or severely reduce my quality of life.

I'll probably always want to smoke (I'm having weird smoking dreams lately and wake up feeling guilty because I think I've actually smoked!) I just know I can't ever have one puff, and in a way it's very depressing. Like I'm being deprived. But I have to focus on the positives in my life from now on. Not something that I know will eventually kill me or severely reduce my quality of life.
I did the same thing for months! I only have them every now and then now. You definetly go through a mourning period...it's like losing your best friend. I adopted the N.O.P.E. mindset---Not One Puff Ever. I know that is all it will take and I'm right back there. Keep up the good work and focus on why you quit in the first place! That part will never change. It gets easier with every passing day! :goodjob:

midtngal said:
I did the same thing for months! I only have them every now and then now. You definetly go through a mourning period...it's like losing your best friend. I adopted the N.O.P.E. mindset---Not One Puff Ever. I know that is all it will take and I'm right back there. Keep up the good work and focus on why you quit in the first place! That part will never change. It gets easier with every passing day! :goodjob:

The forum I go to says N.O.P.E. all the time!

My Mom still has smoking dreams and it's been over 10 years. She laughs about them now. Has to find the humor in what she can because smoking for 35 years put her on oxygen for the rest of her life. She was my inspiration for quitting. I'm expecting a very happy surprised phone call from her soon when she figures out I've quit :mrgreen: I sent her a note snail mail, and off to the side I wrote '6 days, 15 hrs, 3 min. and counting' I hadn't told her I was planning the quit. I turned 39 a few weeks ago and she had said "I was hoping maybe you'd give yourself a present and quit for your B-day". I was like "Yeah, maybe next year, Mom". I wasn't sure at that point I was strong enough so I didn't want to disappoint her again. I know now that I am strong enough....

It will get easier as time passes. The worst non-smoker is an ex-smoker! :lol: I can tell who's been smoking instantly when I stand near someone and know when a person in the car in front of me is smoking.

I had a few 'puffs' over the years, but it's been years since even that. I remember it tasting horrible!

Congrats to everyone who's quit. I was only a social smoker and not very addicted, but quit effortlessly about 7 years ago after a bad flu when I couldn't smoke for 2 weeks.. (Although my mom had the same flu and was so sick , but was able to lift her head up enough off the pillow to smoke a cigarette occasionally, and is still chain smoking) Well it seems like the day is coming when we won't be able to smoke anywhere except our own homes anyway!!.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.