Started My ODK

Deez95

Apr 22, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
After thinking about it and looking at some of these forums on TFP I decided to give it a try and build my own ODK. I have no experience building anything and beside hanging some pictures and painting that's about it for my handyman skills. We had just purchase a home a year ago and I had two pergolas installed with some concrete and pavers. I had a contractor lay some pvc for water and electric and a French drain my beverage center sink and ice bin. He also ran NG from the front of my house to my pergola so there will be no need for me to switch out LP tanks in the future.

Let me tell you I'm flying by the seat of my pants. I threw together some quick plans (U shape) ODK with Bull and DCS grills, burners and beverage center.

(1) 30" Bull Stainless Steel Bison Charcoal grill
(1) 30" Bull Stainless Steel Longstar NG grill
(1) 30" Bull Beverage Center
(1) 30" DCS Liberty griddle/sideburner
(1) refrigerator

I have completed the framing and starting to hang the cement board. I'm in a holding pattern right now waiting to get my contractor out to run the electric to my ODK since I already have the conduit in place. Since the grills pretty much took all my budget can anyone make recommendations on what I should use to cover my ODK?

I'm still trying to decide if I want to use porcelain tile or concrete for my countertops and if I want stone veneer or stucco for my sides. My dimensions are 14' for the two long sides and 10' for the one short side. My counter height all around is 36".

20150331_102610.jpg
20150321_170903.jpg

Looks great so far! Are the frames from BBQ coach or you DIY'ed?
Im also planning for an ODK, though it may just have to be a next year project as I got too much going on this year.

As far as the counter top, tile would be an easier option, tough acid stained concrete looks pretty awesome. I will be acid staining my concrete pad that was just done for the gazebo and the future ODK, so will see how that comes out.

Azmp1, I thought about using BBQ coach but decided to do it myself after going to HD and seeing the price of the steel framing. I'm no handyman but I thought I could at least measure and cut studs myself. Either way you still have to screw the pieces together. For a 2-1/2 " x 10' steel track it was about $4.98 and for the studs $4.10 which comes in 2-1/2" x 8' sections.

I'm also thinking about acid staining my concrete pad. We will see what happens.

Chris, that is a good idea about the stucco now and upgrade later. I will definitely keep that option in mind.

Yesterday, while I had time I went to HD and purchased some plumbing for my beverage center. 1-1/2 pvc tailpiece and P trap. I still need to connect it to my drain pipe.

I love the look of a nice stained concrete counter, but I'm really concerned with their longevity outside. I know my stamped/stained patio finish has aged rather quickly; shows all sorts of calcium type buildup and discolorations (streaks). My thoughts for you are to look around for granite (the builder grade is a bit thinner and I believe the Baltic Brown is the least costly). My laterals are tiled, but I also like the stone veneer finishes; like Paul's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BBQ Coach frames are 20 (or 16 ga) 3.5" I believe studs. I used the 20 and did the heavier concrete counter. What BBQC doesn't tell you is that the hardi and in my case stone veneer also add to strength. I can jump up and down on mine and it's fine.

So what do the saving look like if you go the DIY Home Depot route vs buying prefab from DIY coach? Is it pretty substantial?

Also I really like the stucco option as well, you can do some random tile/stone veneer pieces with stucco, I think that would look great.

Also Jabooh1, which brand of acid stain did you go with for your countertop and did you follow some DIY instructions? I've been looking around the net and there are quite a few different sites offering acid stains and the entire packages, with pricing being pretty much all over the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I poured my concrete, waited 4 weeks for it to cure, sanded with various levels of diamond pads, then stained. Everything came from Expressions LTD. Well except the orbital sander itself. That was northern tool or harbor freight I believe.

It's messy but easy.

I poured my concrete, waited 4 weeks for it to cure, sanded with various levels of diamond pads, then stained. Everything came from Expressions LTD. Well except the orbital sander itself. That was northern tool or harbor freight I believe.

It's messy but easy.

Cool thanks I'll check them out. Always nice to get someone's recommendation as they all look good and promise great results!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm starting to install my cement board now (PermaBase) from Lowes. What are you guys using to cut the board? I started off today using a putty knife, not too bad but would like for the cutting to be a little more easier. I'm thinking about using a circular saw tomorrow, instead of making several cuts with a putty knife and breaking it at the seam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.