Finally finished in the Keys!

LisaT

Apr 8, 2014
Florida Keys
After one year and 2 weeks our pool build is finally complete. It is a beautiful pool with a few problems and I wanted to get some advice before I pay the 10% remaining balance. Our contract said the pool would be finished in 6-8 weeks, (it took 54 weeks), pool depth was contracted to be 3 1/2 to 6 feet deep (it's actually 3 1/2 to 4'9"), the pool deck was supposed to match existing slab on ground floor of house, (it is 4-5" higher which is causing drainage issues), and the pool is not square. The PB has asked us to come up with an amount to deduct from the final bill. Does anybody have any advice? I don't want to pay him anything more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG I couldn't imagine having a build lasting over a year! I have no relevant experience or advice - but you have my sympathies and I wanna see pics! At least it is complete!!!

If you've already paid 90%, I personally wouldn't hand over another penny.
You have a pool which is NOT what was contracted for. That's why we have contracts.
It's 15" less than contracted, poor quality and has the potential to flood your home!
My biggest concern would be the flooding potential.
I might even be considering legal action. It may have negatively impacted you home's value.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I would be fuming...

Tell the pb that after talking with your attorney he/she advised you to pay nothing and they advised you that you have a claim against them. I wouldn't argue with him. If he's mad just tell him that you will no longer discuss and that everything must via mail. If he's smart he will be glad he got his 90% and you'll never hear from him again. If you do consult an attorney. At that point you can decide if it's worth pursuing with the lawyer or just paying.

Thanks for your feedback. We're not fuming anymore, it's just too exhausting and our blood pressure couldn't hack it! I'm glad you agree that we shouldn't pay anything more. I think that's appropriate considering. We do have a beautiful pool in spite of the problems! I'll post some photos soon.
Thanks again.

8ce72a0c91b906649763bd0a91a19fc4.jpg

968aa3de43f99a96b9dca528c1777bf7.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A beautiful, beautiful pool in a glorious setting! Your pool design is the perfect compliment to its surroundings and views. And visa versa...

If my son could see your pictures, he would be on the first flight out of Houston. His favorite relaxation is puffing on a good cigar while watching the sun set. Don't worry, I won't share these photos with him!

Hoping the frustrations of those 54 weeks drift away on gentle breezes. Take care! Suz.

We go down the keys every year. Spend time in Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada, Marathon, Big Pine and, obviously, Key West. Love every inch of that island chain. Where are you located? As for your pool height not matching the deck, in the long run, you may like that. When a tropical storm decides to swing by, the tidal flood may be blocked by that elevated coping.

Thanks for your comments. We are on Sugarloaf Key, mile marker 17. Yes we wanted the elevated coping for just that reason but we wanted the pool deck to match the height of the existing slab. But we are enjoying the pool and the setting so much it's hard to gear up for the fight with the PB. It kinda takes the fight out of you, if you know what I mean.

I agree with several of the previous posters: (a) beautiful setting, and (b) you should be entitled to compensation for failure to deliver. At a minimum, you should seek the advice of counsel in what a potential claim would be for the shortcomings on your build. It's my (uneducated) opinion that you are owed a 40% refund of your monies owed. You expected a swimming pool; you received a wading pool. You expected it to be completed on time; it was completed at a 300% delay. I'm not a litigious person, but I would have been on the phone months ago in your situation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.