Robot for 20x40 IG

Jun 5, 2014
Wading River, NY
I'm going into my second season with my pool and I'm dreading the early summer cleanings. On top of the leaves and dirt blowing around, I have an issue with birds cleaning out their nests into my pool (I posted here about it last summer). I've decided that it would be a huge time saver to get a decent robot to clean my 20x40 inground pool. I don't get a ton of leaves, but I live in a high wind area, so I get a lot of dirt/sand and the previously mentioned bird waste. This robot will be run during the week while I am at work, so I really don't care if it takes 5 minutes or 5 hours to get it clean, so long as I don't have to do it myself.

Here's where things get murky. As with previous pool product purchases, I've been to multiple stores and had each one tell me why the robot they sell is better than all the others, how they would never sell XYZ product and why the $650 model I went in to ask about is inadequate for a pool my size. However all do agree that a robot would serve me better than a suction or pressure cleaner. I have also spent a few hours researching products and reviews of robots and every time I think I have one picked out, I start to see all the negatives.

I like the Polaris sport robots, but people seem to say the wheels break off. I also like the Dolphin robots, but at last count there are 2,467,852 different Dolphin products, 983,249 may or may not be discontinued, 325,890 are not applicable for my pool, and 453,862 attempted to lead a robot revolution last summer. Virtually every other company's product seems the same to me. Someone could really make a fortune keeping an updated, good looking website about quality pool products.

Anyway, I'm completely locked up in analysis at this point and I plan to open the pool in 2-3 weeks. I'm sure others could benefit from a 2015 conversation about what is available and why it is worth purchasing. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a spending limit? Usually the more you spend on a robot the more it will do and it will have a longer warranty. At the higher end of the dollar range most people seem to like the Dolphin M5 or Z5 robots.

Do you have a spending limit? Usually the more you spend on a robot the more it will do and it will have a longer warranty. At the higher end of the dollar range most people seem to like the Dolphin M5 or Z5 robots.

I was planning on keeping it below $1000, given that above that price is the same price range as much more functional (although not comparable) ride on mowers. A warranty is great, but if a company has to brag about it, that usually means its customers need to use it. The M5 seems like it would get the job done, although it's also a little overkill for my needs. I tried to check out the Dolphin M4, but it appears to be discontinued, although Dolphin still has it on their site. This is my big problem with Dolphin, in that it's impossible to tell what they're still selling and what was truly discontinued.

I don't plan on leaving the cleaner in the pool, so I don't particularly need a scheduler, and I don't think I need a remote because 90% of the time I wont be there when it is running. I know everyone has different experiences with these things, are there brands that should be avoided at all costs? Are there models that are significantly easier to use than others? I'd love for my wife to be able to set this up if she's home and I'm not.

I'd love for my wife to be able to set this up if she's home and I'm not.
The good ones are pretty heavy.....keep that in mind.

I have a Dolphin Premier. It is better by quite a bit over my Blue Diamond. Can't comment on Aquabot but they enjoy a good reputation.

My old TigerShark does a fine job on my 40x20 vinyl pool. It's likely an early 2000s model (Still AquaVac branded, not Hayward) that I inherited with the house/pool. Worked all of last year once I installed the booster plate to the bottom. It does get lost, spend too much time in the deep end sometimes but does pretty well over all.

JB, I'm in your boat. I'm currently building a 42.5'x20' pool and just bought my equipment TODAY. All of my equipment except for the robot, that is! I'm trying to do my research and I just felt like I was going in circles. I'm still not where I want to be (hence me not buying the robot yet), but I believe I am moving in the right direction.

So far, I'm pretty certain I will end up with a Dolphin. However, your line about their models couldn't be more accurate! What I've found out is that Dolphin loves to make "exclusive" models for their retailers. This way, that can all say that no one else has *THEIR* model. It isn't too different from the tv makers making a 50-4SC for Sam's Club and a 50-4CCo for Costco... Except Dolphin has taken it a bit too far.

Finally, I called Maytronics and talked to a lady to sort things out. Unfortunately, it wasn't much before her quittin' time, so I didn't get the full treatment. She did tell me about a few new models that are coming out in the next week or 2 and that the ones that have dual brushes on the front are better for freeform pools (they have an separate drive system or something). Beyond that, she pushed me towards http://marketing.maytronicsus.com/products/pool-cleaning/residential to learn more about the models. It is a start.

I'll keep researching and circle back on here before dropping $1-1200 on a robot.

Good luck!

I have a Hayward TigerShark and a Dolphin M4. Bought the TigerShark and inherited the M4 from a family member that moved.

We bought the TS that climbed the walls. Waste of the extra $$. I need it on the floor not on the walls. Overall it does a good job. But the filters are a PITA to clean.
The Dolphin seems to do a better job and the filters are easier to clean. Seem to be some sort of synthetic material maybe??? As opposed to a woolen type for the TS??

My wife can handle either but the M4 is easier as it is on a cart that came with it. But she is 5'10" and can probably kick my tail if she was mad enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From the earlier Maytronics link, it looks like the M5 is now the M500 and they named a cordless robot the M5 Liberty in the Supreme line. They sure make it tough researching anything about their robots.

I'll share my recent research and rationale for what it may be worth (might be just what you pay for it).

Several senior members and moderators here swear by the Dolphin line. Good enough for me, that's where I will start my search. Many reviews rave about the Z5 from epicpool and just as many rave about the M5, if you can find one locally close to you.

As noted above Dolphin units are marketed for various retailers online and brick and mortar and their desired sale price points. The Z5s are online units. The M5s (now 500) are brick and mortar retailer versions.

Both have top loading cartridge type filters, a must have in my book. I don't want to wrestle with this 'porpoise' any more that necessary.

The Z5 only has two brushes vs three on the M5. Knowing my luck, if I buy a two brush Z5 it will get stuck on the drain cover and I will be hating life. My cover may not even have an issue, but I don't want to find out. My research turned up no significant issues with the M5 hanging up.

The Z5 has a basic limited function remote. The M5 has a full function 'pro' remote. There are a few threads here that show some of the M5 functionality is present in the Z5 units :batman:, but the basic Z5 remote simply doesn't allow access those. I don't want to buy a Z5 then buy a pro remote.

The Z5 doesn't have all the same schedule/programming features as the M5. That's a wash. I don't plan on leaving it in the pool.

(In general my thoughts the Z5 is likely more comparable to the M4 if you added a remote to the M4.)

I decided to go local and find a authorized seller who does on site repairs. I read a few stories of having to ship online purchased units for repairs - one $70 shipping is going to eat into your savings.

I haven't pulled the trigger as the price point is $100-200 more than I initially planned to spend, $1549 less $100 rebate = $1449. (Comparatively the M4 is 1399-$75 rebate plus $80 for the remote = $1404. The split drive and extra features of the M5 are worth $45 IMO.)

Store owner was very nice, but indicated they offer no sales or other discounts. Take it or leave it, the units we have will be gone by the early June and getting one may be tough. Basically they know what they have and that there is little to no local competition. I suspect they have a good mark up based on carrying them in stock and offering the in store service. But finding a comparison price is impossible in my experience. I'll probably buy it next week.

One suggestion I have for you is to measure and diagram your pool in relation to where you will plug your unit into an outlet to ensure the power cord length will let the robot you choose reach the longest distance.

Happy hunting.

This may provide some insight http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/77863-REVIEW-Dolphin-Oasis-Z5-from-Epic-Pool-supply

Last edited:
I bought the M4 last year and got a great deal compared to the above prices from a local pool store...likely since it was obsolescing. (By great deal, I mean under 1k plus $100 store credit...online prices seemed higher, likely due to shipping.)

I love it, and didn't need the M5 features. In your case, since its obsolescing, it might be worth calling around to various local pool stores, saying explicitly you want an m4, do they have any left, and will they do you a deal :). Eg if they think you'll spend more, they'd steer you to the newest model....but if you're explicit and they happen to have old stock...

That might be your best price option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.