Brand new skimmer hairline cracks

rmm221

Mar 31, 2015
Granada Hills, CA
View attachment 35615

I just had a brand new skimmer installed in my 1961 pool. When I was inspecting the tile job and the skimmer yesterday I noticed 3 hairline cracks in the housing... I can feel that its an actual crack. Is it normal to have a skimmer crack after installation? I haven't had a chance to talk to my pool guy about it yet? Overall it looks like a huge improvement over my old skimmer.. Which was basically an original 1961 pitted up concrete wall... that i had entirely puttied up with epoxy over the years to keep it from leaking.

I'd imagine a small coat of epoxy will seal it up nice.. and don't want to make a big deal about it with my pool guy if it's a normal thing for a plastic skimmer housing to crack upon installation?

I included a pic.. Overall I'm been pleased with the pool guys price and work so far... He's plastering the pool hopefully in the next couple days.. after tiling yesterday. Don't want to make him dig out and replace the $1600 skimmer job.. if it's not a big issue.

That is not normal. It is cracks similar to that which led me to paying to have mine replaced.

UGH.. I was really hoping we'd be filling up the pool this weekend. I didn't notice the cracks until after they did the tile work around the newly installed skimmer yesterday. I was worried that they were drilling out old tile around the newly installed skimmer.. I remember being concerned that they didn't drill out all the old tile/concrete before they installed the skimmer.

Guess I got talk to him before they start plastering the pool...

I looked at it in a hurry this morning... I sent the picture to my pool guy and he said he thinks it's traces of Glue not a crack. I really hope that's all it is!! I'm gonna go check it out again tonight. I rubbed my hand across it and it felt like a crack.. but i was in a hurry so i didn't try to scratch it off...

Looking back closely it does look like glue because there are a couple of breaks in the "crack" below the blue smudge, in the groove, etc. caught a break!

Yeah i went back and looked at it closer.. It was hard to scrape off.. but it came off a little.. definitely glue. Did look a lot like a crack at first glance! Quite the relief! They are plastering the pool as I write this!!!

I'm getting very lucky it appears.. because my next scheduled water meter reading is this Monday! The pool should be filled up by then. Next month I'm sure with the drought they are going to charge a lot more for water. Rumor is they are adding two more pricing TIERS. It appears I'm going to get my pool filled JUST before the new drought restrictions kick in! (Which was the goal... didn't know it would be cutting it so close!!!!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.