I can't vacuum to clear?!

Sep 14, 2008
Every morning I vacuum dead algae from my pool. The water is clear. As I vacuum half the pool the turbulence from the return valve stirs up the water before I can vacuum the whole pool. The pool (above ground 9000 gallons) becomes gray murky. I have been doing this for 2 weeks and the water never seems to fully clear up. However after sitting overnight the water becomes clear again and the dead algae settles on the bottom. Then I vacuum again and the cycle repeats itself. When will this pool ever get clear? All my chemical level are fine, ph is 7.4, chlorine is 3. What gives? I don't think that I am generating an new algae because I super shocked it for a few days until the green turn foggy gray.

Welcome to TFP!

Are you able to vacuum to waste? If you have a rotary multi-port valve, it should have a setting to vacuum to waste. That will lower the water level, but it will allow you to vacuum without stirring up everything on the bottom If you don't have vacuum to waste you should be able to get the pool clear in not too many more days by just being persistent.

Are you sure that the murky water is just from stuff on the bottom getting stirred up? It is possible that the filter is malfunctioning and dirt is coming back into the pool through the return. If that is happening you won't be able to get the pool completely clean until you fix the filter.

I think I just have a one way valve so I can probably rotate it half way to lower the water rate. I'll try that tomorrow after it settles overnight. I have a new cartridge filter so I assume that it is filtering properly. It's green when I spray clean it every other day. How can I tell the filter is working properly, the water pressure is very strong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.