Heat pump sizing for small temp increase

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Folks, please bear with me for a second here, I know its just about another thread about heat pump sizing....

Here's my dilemma. Because I have autocover and keep the pool covered between uses im typically able to keep the temps up well throughout the summer. Pretty much always above 80 all the way into beginning of October, but sometimes you just want those couple of extra degrees, therefore im getting the heat pump.
But I just can't make up my mind on the size. If I use the typical formula [total surface area]x[difference in temp wanted]x12, in my case (512x10x12), I get 60k BTU sizing. I don't have a large pool 16x32, around 19k gallons, and I certainly like the 60k BTU option from the cost perspective, but i'm afraid that it may end up being too small and I will end up regretting it later.

Any suggestions? Maybe from personal experiences?

Its about 90-100 during fringe months and 50-75 during the warmer months.Keep in mind im including the filtration pump in this cost...not sure how i could seperate the cost of the 2. .12kwh and i do cover the pool as soon as i get out.My neighbor uses propane on a similar sized pool and last season went through 1300.00 just for the pool yikes!

Its about 90-100 during fringe months and 50-75 during the warmer months.Keep in mind im including the filtration pump in this cost...not sure how i could seperate the cost of the 2. .12kwh and i do cover the pool as soon as i get out.My neighbor uses propane on a similar sized pool and last season went through 1300.00 just for the pool yikes!
That's not bad at all. But... $1300, holly ****. I was initially considering going gas, but the fact that I only need heat from a very supplemental perspective, few degrees here and there, made me sway towards the heat pump. Not to mention, huge cost to run up NG to my pool, including upgrading the meter.

So, at this point of time I'm narrowed down to Hayward HP21104T, 110k BTU or Raypak HP21104T, 117k BTU, The prices are almost the same right around $2500. I have two friends who have Raypak heat pumps and love them, but Hayward has more all around reviews which in general are very good. Touch choice.... any suggestions from anyone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the feedback Lou. I pulled the trigger on the raypak 117k btu yesterday. It was a touch choice between that one and a Hayward heat pro, as both got great reviews, but I got two friends with the same unit and they love it. Also talked to a HVAC tech buddy I have and he recommended raypak was well, said, this is what the company specializes in and their HVAC products are very reliable and easy to work on. So looks like I will have heat right at the pool opening, 10 days from now! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So yesterday installed my new heat pump (Raypak, 117k BTU). Took me all day to get all the plumbing and electrical done, but, man, what a difference already. In less then 24 hours I have 9 degree temp rise. Having an auto cover to minimize the heat loss Ofcourse helps quiet a bit. Kids and wife are loving it, wife *****ed a bit before about spending money on the heat pump, as we don't really need it all that much throughout the summer, like I said it's more of a few degrees here, few degrees there type a deal, but I certainly not hearing her complain today! ;)

Glad to hear it,i have been swimming in 88 degree water since may first.Definetly need a heater in my climate, To me it was worth the money because the pool itself was such a big investment.With the heat pump we will be able to use it more often.

Glad to hear it,i have been swimming in 88 degree water since may first.Definetly need a heater in my climate, To me it was worth the money because the pool itself was such a big investment.With the heat pump we will be able to use it more often.

I agree 100%. I think it's worth every penny, now as I have it. Just the point that you don't have to be reliant on the weather and be in control of your fun is everything. I tend to open my pool early as well (late April, early May) and typically I'd be waiting for at least several weeks for the water to reach the desired temperature, so why wait? Like you said, the pool is a big investment and we had some very nice and hot weather this may, but the pool was still cold, and it really sucks that it's 85 outside but your water is still in the 70s.
We actually would have been swimming two weeks ago, but unfortunately my first heat pump came in damaged, so it had to be returned and it added another two weeks, but all is good now :)

Congrats on the heat pump! We are at 76 so I can appreciate the difference. Still swimming but 86 it ain't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.